Walkthrough and map

Guttersnipe: Carnival of Regrets

by Bitter Karella

Episode 1 of Guttersnipe
Humor

Guttersnipe: Carnival of Regrets is a humorously grotesque (or grotesquely humorous) game about a circa 1929 street urchin and her pet sewer rat trying to survive a trip through a dark carnival full of sin, secrets, and murderous clowns.

Author's Comment: "I'm obsessed with 1920s street urchins, awful monsters, and low brow grand guignol comedy. This game unites all three of my passions, so I hope you enjoy it too!"

First Publication Date: April 7, 2017
Development System: Quest
TUID: sh4u6tis7lugg0vg

Alumni's Choice Ribbon, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2017

Bitter Karella is one of my favourite IF authors so far, September 22, 2018
by Froggy (UK)
Related reviews: Played 2018, Favourites
Having played Night House as my first ever digital interactive fiction, and having adored it, I figured I'd stick to the same author and try another of Bitter Karella's games. Glad I did! This is a very humorous game with lots to look at, lots to do, and lots of people to talk to! Incredibly imaginative, wonderfully descriptive, great character- and world-building, fab plot and wonderful puzzles - the type that are intuitive enough to solve, but hard enough that they take a while and you feel pretty pleased with yourself when you figure them out! Can't wait to play the rest of the Lil Ragamuffin series.

A difficult and sprawling dark fantasy/comedy circus game, March 28, 2018
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
I played this Guttersnipe game after I played the IFComp 2017 one.

This is a big Quest game. You play as a ragamuffin urchin who is trying to be the number one urchin of all time. The game uses a variety of humorous dialects to show character, including yours.

You enter a dark circus, and have to discover its secrets. This is a big game with a big map, with 1-2 puzzles per room. Generally, an item found in one room will solve one puzzle somewhere else.

I liked this game, and would have given it 4 stars, but I found it a bit difficult to complete, and I abandoned it partway through. If it had a complete walkthrough, I would probably give it 4 stars.

This author has a number of other games that are big and well-received, including Night House and the other Guttersnipe game.

Edit: I finished playing, and the parts I hadn't been able to reach were actually great! I wish this were ported to Inform or TADS.

If you enjoyed Guttersnipe: Carnival of Regrets...