Walkthrough and map

Guttersnipe: Carnival of Regrets

by Bitter Karella

Episode 1 of Guttersnipe
Humor

Guttersnipe: Carnival of Regrets is a humorously grotesque (or grotesquely humorous) game about a circa 1929 street urchin and her pet sewer rat trying to survive a trip through a dark carnival full of sin, secrets, and murderous clowns.

Author's Comment: "I'm obsessed with 1920s street urchins, awful monsters, and low brow grand guignol comedy. This game unites all three of my passions, so I hope you enjoy it too!"

First Publication Date: April 7, 2017
Development System: Quest
TUID: sh4u6tis7lugg0vg

Alumni's Choice Ribbon, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2017

Bitter Karella is one of my favourite IF authors so far, September 22, 2018
by Froggy (UK)
Related reviews: Played 2018, Favourites
Having played Night House as my first ever digital interactive fiction, and having adored it, I figured I'd stick to the same author and try another of Bitter Karella's games. Glad I did! This is a very humorous game with lots to look at, lots to do, and lots of people to talk to! Incredibly imaginative, wonderfully descriptive, great character- and world-building, fab plot and wonderful puzzles - the type that are intuitive enough to solve, but hard enough that they take a while and you feel pretty pleased with yourself when you figure them out! Can't wait to play the rest of the Lil Ragamuffin series.

A difficult and sprawling dark fantasy/comedy circus game, March 28, 2018
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
I played this Guttersnipe game after I played the IFComp 2017 one.

This is a big Quest game. You play as a ragamuffin urchin who is trying to be the number one urchin of all time. The game uses a variety of humorous dialects to show character, including yours.

You enter a dark circus, and have to discover its secrets. This is a big game with a big map, with 1-2 puzzles per room. Generally, an item found in one room will solve one puzzle somewhere else.

I liked this game, and would have given it 4 stars, but I found it a bit difficult to complete, and I abandoned it partway through. If it had a complete walkthrough, I would probably give it 4 stars.

This author has a number of other games that are big and well-received, including Night House and the other Guttersnipe game.

Edit: I finished playing, and the parts I hadn't been able to reach were actually great! I wish this were ported to Inform or TADS.

If you enjoyed Guttersnipe: Carnival of Regrets...

People who like Guttersnipe: Carnival of Regrets also gave high ratings to these games:

Patrick, by michael lutz
A very short game about having an uncomfortable conversation with a vaguely sinister white guy. One ending. Or is there? Ask a friend to play and then compare notes.

Beneath Floes, by Bravemule; Pinnguaq
Qikiqtaaluk, 1962. The sun falls below the horizon and won't return for months. You wander the broken shoreline, wary of your mother's stories about the qalupalik. Fish woman, stealer of wayward children: she dwells beneath the ice....

Tower of the Blood Lord, by michael lutz
Iíve made a twine game called The Tower of the Blood Lord, which is based on the time I played the first twenty minutes of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

Guttersnipe: Carnival of Regrets appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My new walkthroughs for July 2018 by David Welbourn
On Friday, July 6, 2018, I published several new walkthroughs for the games listed below! Many of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new walkthroughs for works of...

The following polls include votes for Guttersnipe: Carnival of Regrets:

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Writing of 2017 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2017 which you think might be worth considering for Best Writing in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 7 July 2018 at 3:37pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item