Walkthrough
Walkthrough and map
by David Welbourn

The Temple of Shorgil

by Arthur DiBianca profile

One day, travel guides will talk about this "masterpiece of the Pirothian architect Kitral" -- but only if you, the first person to visit it in over 1,000 years, can find out what's inside.

(Puzzle-oriented and family friendly, with illustrations by Corinna Browning.)

First Publication Date: October 1, 2018
TUID: sgas14we0jk2fgse

20th Place (tie) - 24th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2018)

The Breakfast Review
We're an archaeologist, and we're investigating an ancient temple. There's backstory that would clarify the ending, but only if you ask for it. Otherwise, it's basically a puzzle quest without any story to get in the way.

Another solid DiBianca puzzlefest, November 17, 2018
I might as well state my bias up front: I love puzzle-focused games, and I think Arthur DiBianca is among the most innovative puzzle designers in IF these days. He tends to write parser games where only a few commands are allowed. Some folks in the IF community dislike that approach, but I am not one of them. In fact, I think restricting the verb set for a game heavy on puzzles and intentionally light on story is an excellent design move: It keeps the game focused on the puzzle-solving.

The Temple of Shorgil is another such puzzle-focused, limited-parser game from Arthur. The setting is that you are a scholar studying the ancient Pirothian culture. You've discovered their fabled Temple of Shorgil, and the game consists of you exploring it to uncover its secrets. But the experience of playing the game is mostly of figuring out how to place a set of figurines on pedestals in different ways. This may sound like there's not much to do, but once again (see, for example, The Wand and Inside the Facility) Arthur has taken a simple mechanic and transformed it into a large number of puzzles ranging from easy to much more difficult. The result is a unified game experience that nevertheless provides a varied, complex set of challenges. It's great design.

With the placement of objects being the mechanic, The Temple of Shorgil has some shades of his game Excelsior. It also reminds me of Inside the Facility, in that gaining more figurines unlocks new areas (in Inside the Facility, you collect higher-level keycards).

The Temple of Shorgil also features a collection of illustrations by Corinna Browning, which aren't necessary for solving the puzzles but add some nice atmosphere. The various map settings range from helpful to extremely helpful with respect to orienting yourself and solving some of the challenges.

Highly recommended for puzzle enthusiasts.

If you enjoyed The Temple of Shorgil...

People who like The Temple of Shorgil also gave high ratings to these games:

500 Apocalypses, by Phantom Williams
500 Apocalypses is a web installation memorializing collapsed civilizations from across our universe. This interactive space is designed to allow contemplative engagement with five hundred curated entries from the Encyclopedia...

Arc Symphony, by Matilde Park and Penelope Evans
Say, how did you say you got here again? I swear I've seen your handle before... "Surf" for "new destinations"... Become a moderator or be banned. Pilfer the files of strangers for insightful fanfic. Take on a new identity with one of...

I Think The Waves Are Watching Me, by Bob McCabe
In a mysterious, dream-like world, enormous tidal waves have surrounded an island -- trapping you along with many others. And then the killing starts. What are you going to do? Better decide quickly. You have two hours left and the clock...

The Temple of Shorgil appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My new walkthroughs for December 2018 by David Welbourn
On Friday, December 28, 2018, I published new walkthroughs for the games listed below! Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new walkthroughs for works of...

The following polls include votes for The Temple of Shorgil:

The great puzzlefests by Victor Gijsbers
Playing Curses!, I started wondering which games belong to the canon of great puzzlefests. With this term I mean puzzle based games that are long, difficult and punishing; but also fair, engaging and truly rewarding to work through. The...

Solved without Hints by joncgoodwin
I'm very interested in hearing truthful accounts of at least somewhat difficult games (or games that don't solve themselves at least) solved completely without recourse to hints, walkthroughs, etc.

Games with maps... by Xionix
I started playing Counterfeit Monkey, and I notice a good map is a way for us newbies to get into the game more easy. And I hate to draw so, are any other games that got a in-game map? It can be any genre.

This is version 6 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 28 December 2018 at 10:33am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item