Walkthrough
by the author

The Temple of Shorgil

by Arthur DiBianca profile

One day, travel guides will talk about this "masterpiece of the Pirothian architect Kitral" -- but only if you, the first person to visit it in over 1,000 years, can find out what's inside.

(Puzzle-oriented and family friendly, with illustrations by Corinna Browning.)

First Publication Date: October 1, 2018
TUID: sgas14we0jk2fgse

20th Place (tie) - 24th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2018)

The Breakfast Review
We're an archaeologist, and we're investigating an ancient temple. There's backstory that would clarify the ending, but only if you ask for it. Otherwise, it's basically a puzzle quest without any story to get in the way.

Another solid DiBianca puzzlefest, November 17, 2018
I might as well state my bias up front: I love puzzle-focused games, and I think Arthur DiBianca is among the most innovative puzzle designers in IF these days. He tends to write parser games where only a few commands are allowed. Some folks in the IF community dislike that approach, but I am not one of them. In fact, I think restricting the verb set for a game heavy on puzzles and intentionally light on story is an excellent design move: It keeps the game focused on the puzzle-solving.

The Temple of Shorgil is another such puzzle-focused, limited-parser game from Arthur. The setting is that you are a scholar studying the ancient Pirothian culture. You've discovered their fabled Temple of Shorgil, and the game consists of you exploring it to uncover its secrets. But the experience of playing the game is mostly of figuring out how to place a set of figurines on pedestals in different ways. This may sound like there's not much to do, but once again (see, for example, The Wand and Inside the Facility) Arthur has taken a simple mechanic and transformed it into a large number of puzzles ranging from easy to much more difficult. The result is a unified game experience that nevertheless provides a varied, complex set of challenges. It's great design.

With the placement of objects being the mechanic, The Temple of Shorgil has some shades of his game Excelsior. It also reminds me of Inside the Facility, in that gaining more figurines unlocks new areas (in Inside the Facility, you collect higher-level keycards).

The Temple of Shorgil also features a collection of illustrations by Corinna Browning, which aren't necessary for solving the puzzles but add some nice atmosphere. The various map settings range from helpful to extremely helpful with respect to orienting yourself and solving some of the challenges.

Highly recommended for puzzle enthusiasts.

If you enjoyed The Temple of Shorgil...

People who like The Temple of Shorgil also gave high ratings to these games:

Bloody Raoul, by Caleb Wilson (as Ian Cowsbell)
Summer in Saturnine. What a night for knife punks!

Sorcery! 2, by Steve Jackson and inkle
Per the first game in this series, this is an adaptation of a print-based game book originally published in 1983, updated for modern touch-screen devices. The player quests across a fantasy map (this time of a single city, versus the...

Suspended, by Michael Berlyn
They said you would sleep for half a millennium - not an unreasonable length of time, considering you'd be in limited cryogenic suspension. Your body would rest at the planet's nerve center, an underground complex 20 miles beneath the...

The following polls include votes for The Temple of Shorgil:

Games with maps... by Xionix
I started playing Counterfeit Monkey, and I notice a good map is a way for us newbies to get into the game more easy. And I hate to draw so, are any other games that got a in-game map? It can be any genre.

Solved without Hints by joncgoodwin
I'm very interested in hearing truthful accounts of at least somewhat difficult games (or games that don't solve themselves at least) solved completely without recourse to hints, walkthroughs, etc.

The great puzzlefests by Victor Gijsbers
Playing Curses!, I started wondering which games belong to the canon of great puzzlefests. With this term I mean puzzle based games that are long, difficult and punishing; but also fair, engaging and truly rewarding to work through. The...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 17 November 2018 at 10:57pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item