IF is Dead. Long Live IF.

by Joshua Houk profile

Nonfiction

An amusing conversation with a past self about 2014 IFComp , February 9, 2016
This game is a Twine review of all the 2014 IFComp games, portrayed as a conversation with the author's 2004 self. The old self is surprised to hear about Twine, Inform 7, Dr Who, etc.

It's all fairly amusing, but it also has great value as a snapshot of a changing IF landscape.

There is some strong profanity, but the reviews are generally benign, with some real moments of pathos as they discuss their response to games that touched them.

Not IF, February 11, 2015
To start with, this isn't a game, or even fiction: it's a Twine document with musings ("reviews" would be too strong a word) on the IFComp 2014 entries.

Now that that's out of the way, is it any good? Well, the central conceit is cute, the writing is good if not outstanding, and I laughed out loud a number of times, which is more than most IFComp reviews pages get from me. On the downside, this isn't really what I look for in IF criticism: I enjoy reviews that are meaty, discuss the techniques used (both technical and artistic), and provide at least enough information about the game to make me decide whether I want to give it a shot. Some of the pages in IF is Dead are one sentence long, and not a particularly generous one. Even the longer ones assume that the reader has either played every entry, or has read enough other reviews to have at least an idea about them.

An enjoyable way to waste fifteen minutes, but I don't know whether I'll remember it a week from now. Give it a read if you want; there's nothing bad about it. Just don't let it be your first introduction to the 2014 entries, or you'll just be confused.

IFComp 2014 wikipedia entry with comments, February 11, 2015
by namekuseijin (anywhere but home)
what game is here? It's nothing but text and links. Is Wikipedia a game too? The tag for this "game" is "Nonfiction". If it's got neither fiction nor it is more interactive than a regular book pageflip or linkclick, what is it doing here? I read in that text something about IF evolving. If this is an example of that, it's actually devolving. Perhaps next people will go back to pen and paper rpgs and then to poetry rapsodhies... Why is it that people these days just refuse to call a story a story rather than a game? Is it to lure youngsters in, so they can think of reading as something more exciting? Whatever it is, IF it's not.

Basically, it's a review of the IF Comp 2014.., November 26, 2014
Try out this game if you are lazy to look up reviews on the Comp games. Found it nice! :)

I enjoyed reading this so much...., November 25, 2014
by Hanon Ondricek (United States)
That I was exceedingly sad to be left out of it.
Note: this rating is not included in the game's average.