IF is Dead. Long Live IF.

by Joshua Houk profile

Nonfiction

Go to the game's main page

IFComp 2014 wikipedia entry with comments, February 11, 2015
by namekuseijin (anywhere but home)
what game is here? It's nothing but text and links. Is Wikipedia a game too? The tag for this "game" is "Nonfiction". If it's got neither fiction nor it is more interactive than a regular book pageflip or linkclick, what is it doing here? I read in that text something about IF evolving. If this is an example of that, it's actually devolving. Perhaps next people will go back to pen and paper rpgs and then to poetry rapsodhies... Why is it that people these days just refuse to call a story a story rather than a game? Is it to lure youngsters in, so they can think of reading as something more exciting? Whatever it is, IF it's not.

Comments on this review

Previous | << 1 >> | Next

Victor Gijsbers, February 11, 2015 - Reply
You may, of course, believe that a website with review from the IF Comp 2014 should not itself be here on the IFDB, not even when presented in dialogue form. And I think you would be right! So this probably shouldn't be here. But surely the fact that someone did link it here isn't some horrible crime against interactive fiction, and might perhaps be taken in with a little more light-heartedness? :-)
namekuseijin, February 12, 2015 - Reply
sure, no crime one such derailment. Except in happens in droves, all the time now. There's plenty of static fiction in short bursts of clickable text for twitter fans trying to pass for IF these days. It's annoying, so I annoy back. ;)
Christina Nordlander, February 12, 2015 - Reply
I love how apparently I'm a Twitter fan because I enjoy some Twine works, despite the fact that I've only ever used Twitter to log into Fallen London.

Please tell me more about myself.
namekuseijin, February 12, 2015 - Reply
you play them on smartphone
Previous | << 1 >> | Next