puddles.acd
original competion entry, also need puddles.​dat
For all systems. To play, you'll need an Alan Interpreter for your system - visit the Alan home page for download links.
puddles.dat
original competition entry, also need puddles.​acd
Requires an AdvSys interpreter. (This is an older format that is no longer supported.)
Walkthrough and map
by David Welbourn

Puddles on the Path

by Anssi Räisänen

Wordplay/Cave crawl
2003

In this game where proverbs are magical spells, you play as an apprentice to Larumis the Sorcerer. After two years in his service, you're on the road home for a well-earned summer vacation when, through an iron gate in a stately stone wall, you see a mysterious garden. You forgot all about curiosity killing the cat.

Development System: Alan 2
Baf's Guide ID: 2098
IFID: ALAN-96F3F722C5F2FC4F9429ABE595BD5E75
TUID: s4girkccjl8mtwh4

Honorable Mention - Spring Thing 2003

A brief, straightforward, charming game about a world in which proverbs have magical efficacy. Neither setting nor story is especially noteworthy, but the puzzles are entertaining and on a couple of occasions quite satisfying to solve. There are a handful of minor rough spots, but this is generally a friendly and solid piece of snack-sized IF.

-- Emily Short

IF-Review
There are a handful of rough spots -- some phrasings (not of proverbs) that weren't immediately obvious to me and could have used more synonyms, a few places where the spelling or word use was a little off -- but not too many. It does seem to be possible to render the game unwinnable, though I am not sure whether or not this was the author's intention. There was one item that I wouldn't have thought to look for without the walkthrough, and one thing that might have been a bug.

On the other hand, it is such a friendly and generally solid piece that I had a hard time holding these minor flaws against it.

If you enjoyed Puddles on the Path...

People who like Puddles on the Path also gave high ratings to these games:

Harmonia, by Liza Daly
Fuller, A. (b. 1966, d.?) 12 chapters, edited by E. Merchant. 091 Manuscripts—096 Illustrated—098 Prohibited works, forgeries, and hoaxes Signed permission from the Dean required for viewing. No exceptions.

Chlorophyll, by Steph Cherrywell

The Tower of the Elephant, by Tor Andersson
An adaptation of the classic sword & sorcery tale by Robert E. Howard, first published in 1933.

Puddles on the Path appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My new walkthroughs for March 2019 by David Welbourn
On Monday, March 26, 2019, I published new walkthroughs for the games listed below! Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new walkthroughs for works of interactive...

Favorite ALAN games by Anya Johanna DeNiro
These are some of my favorite games written in the ALAN IF-development language. With a lower learning curve and a more natural-language programming environment, ALAN v2 definitely filled an important role in IF before the advent of...

Word-play games by Emily Short
Games where the text of the game is part of the puzzle.

This is version 4 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 25 March 2019 at 7:02pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item