Transylvania (double hi-res version) disk image for Apple II
Contains transylvaniadoublehi-res.dsk
Apple II Application (Compressed with gzip. Free unpacking tools are available for most systems.)
Transylvania for C64 *
Transylvania.sit
Mac OS Application (Mac OS 7 and later) (Compressed with StuffIt. Free StuffIt Expanders are available for most systems at www.stuffit.com.)
transpc.zip *

1982

License: Former commercial
Development System: Comprehend
TUID: rxchvdelv5ebduze

A mixture of traditional horror and fantasy motifs, with a flying saucer thrown in for good measure. The princess Sabrina lies ensorcelled in a vampire's castle, and will die at dawn unless you can rescue her. Features graphics that get stroked in as you watch, and which were considered quite good in their day. Fairly small, two-word parser, easy puzzles, monsters that wander around at random, and a time limit on the whole game. The original documentation is unavailable, but the off-disk copy protection is contained in the file trans.clue. There are at least two versions of this game, with some slight differences in the puzzles.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

It had its moments, December 31, 2020
by End Master (The Outer Reaches Of Your Mind)
Another graphic text adventure I played on the C64 back in the day. I remember just picking it up out of a sake of not really finding anything else that caught my attention in the store that day and something about an adventure in Transylvania seemed as good as any setting to waste time in.

As far as the plot of the game is concerned, you have to save a princess, which is pretty common in video games in general and even more common in this era. Itís a simple game with a simple parser so it really doesnít need to be complex in terms of plot anyway. The game came with a newspaper mentioning Princess Sabrina and some other related things about Transylvania.

While the graphics at the time probably helped in keeping my attention since there isnít much in the way of text description, but the game also kept me alert in the sense that itís actively trying to kill you nearly right from the start.

I donít mean in the sense of ďGo left and die.Ē but as youíre traveling around outside, youíre going to inevitably bump into a werewolf from time to time and unless youíve got the right weapon (Take a guess) you need to immediately get the hell out of the location or he kills you.

Something similar happens when you enter a castle. Youíre safe from the werewolf, but now youíve got a vampire running around trying to kill you, unless youíve got the right item to fend him off.

To top it all off, the game has a timer on it, (A note says: ďSabrina dies at Dawn!Ē) so you only have so many turns to find the princess or you lose.

Thereís other monsters besides the vampire and werewolf too, but not quite as pro-active in doing you in.

Apparently this was the first in a series, but I never got around to playing the other two. I donít remember ever seeing them for the C64, though I probably wouldnít have bothered since the first one didnít exactly wow me enough to buy the other two.

Still I do remember coming back to it more than a few times so it wasnít a complete waste.

Childhood Favorite, November 17, 2007
by Benjamin Sokal (Elysium pod planting enclosure on Mars)
One of my earliest memories is playing Transylvania late into the night (er, early evening, since I was probably 7 at the time). The game is ludicrous (goblins, aliens, vampires, werewolves, etc) but somehow remarkably enjoyable. This is one of those games whose philosophy is "story? continuity? what's that?", with the end result being that you never know what surprise is coming next (okay, so you're supposed to rescue the princess Sabrina - I guess that is story, but most of the game has nothing to do with that). And what can beat the graphics drawn right in front of you as if a hyperactive child sits inside your monitor with a pen?

Note: I much prefer the Apple II version of this game to the ugly MS-DOS version, so I recommend that you search for that if you are interested in this game.

If you enjoyed Transylvania...