lardo.z5

by Anonymous

2003

IFID: ZCODE-1-030830-A2A3
TUID: roas2zr00wsyk48o

29th Place - 9th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2003)

The author uses his one-room game to scoff at a mentally handicapped person. While, from the technical point of view, he demonstrates quite remarkable writing and programming skills in doing so, the target choice for his jeer seems inappropriate, to put it mildly. Thus, if things like, say, kicking people who can't defend themselves in the teeth don't belong to your hobbies, avoid this game at any rate.

-- Valentine Kopteltsev

Call this game "Insultatron." Its purpose is to insult you in as many ways as possible, though not with a great deal of creativity. If that sounds like fun to you, than you'll probably love the game. If not, then you're like me.

An obscene game that does nothing but insult you, April 17, 2016
In this game, you are the fat lardo. In one room, there is a duck.

Most standard verbs are implemented, and result in insulting you.

Why three stars? The game is polished. It is very descriptive in its insults. And it succeeds in producing an emotional reaction.

But the interactivity is bkring, and I would not play it again. I do not recommend this. Includes frequent strong profanity.

Strangely Enjoyable, But Still Trash..., May 24, 2011
by Edward Kingfisher
Related reviews: swearing, funny, play, bad
Honestly, from the title, I had no idea what to expect. Possibly some stupid adventure, but no, what I found was a lot worse. I don't want to rush this game, or even deter you from playing it! I cannot deny that this game was quite funny, and even though isn't as good as some other titles, works well.

The 'story' involves you, who the game describes as "a fat lardo," finds a rubber ducky. THATS ABOUT IT. You can pick it up, squeeze it, drop it, nibble it, jump (a refreshing breath since I've been longing to get a response from that for years). You can't go anywhere, do anything "as far as I know" or really have any fun with this.

If you are in the mood for some language and lols,play it for a few minutes, but this game is no Emily Short.

If you enjoyed The Fat Lardo and the Rubber Ducky...

People who like The Fat Lardo and the Rubber Ducky also gave high ratings to these games:

Snack Time!, by Hardy the Bulldog and Renee Choba
Can you help one hungry bulldog in his quest to find something good to eat? He would like that. A lot. [blurb from IF Comp 2008]

Cheater, by Wesley Osam
"A small game; the only way to win is to literally cheat. Might be difficult for players who aren't familiar with the Inform language debugging verbs." [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

Distress, by Mike Snyder
Lieutenant Huchess came to, an hour or so ago. That was around the time Runoma, blazing orange-hot so near this, its second planet, fell below the distant, jagged crag line. Ensign Covegn died not long after -- Sandra Marie Covegn, both...

The Fat Lardo and the Rubber Ducky appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Camp/"So Bad It's Good" by Ivanr
It might seem strange that a video game, which relies on consistent and effortful coding in order to deliver any kind of experience, could be "so bad it's good" in the way that an Ed Wood movie is. But it can happen, as this list...

The following polls include votes for The Fat Lardo and the Rubber Ducky:

Worst IF Titles by diddlescatter
(Sorry, Fredrik, but your poll was such a great idea that I couldn't resist!) So here's the question: Which titles out there do you absolutely hate? Remember, it doesn't have to be a game you've actually played. In fact, maybe it's a...

The worst IF ever? by theqbasicwizard
I'm wanting to do an episode for the podcast that deals with only the worst possible IF games ever programmed? You know the kind that if you would have played it for another minute longer, that you would have never played another IF ever...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Paul O'Brian on 9 April 2008 at 11:19am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item