Age of Fable is played in a browser.

Age of Fable

by James Hutchings

2006

Age of Fable is a free role-playing game which you play through your web browser. Its style is deliberately 'retro', based on the gamebooks whose popularity peaked in the 80s such as Fighting Fantasy, Lone Wolf, Tunnels and Trolls, and Fabled Lands.

License: Creative Commons
Development System: Custom
TUID: rnkyg9mamrpzt8xd

Impressive, May 10, 2016
I am not that impressed with the RPG style text-based games that I've played in the past, but Age of Fable offers something that I feel like sharing with others. It is a CYOA with a seemingly complicated dice-roll based system responsible for determining the success or failure of most of your decisions. My first play through left me unsatisfied, though. It seemed that there was no way to create a character with high enough skills to make any decision favorable. That was my first play-through and I was naive. It was only after playing it again and again and again that I realized how beautiful and wonderful this game is. There appear to be nine or maybe twelve characters (based on the beginning attribute values) that you can be, either by creating a character, choosing one, or randomly generating one. The story unfolds quite differently for each type of character that you choose, and there is a a lot of story here. In my six attempts at the game (all of them leading to death) I only saw the same descriptions or events a handful of times. I don't know if there is some ultimate goal that bathes you in glory and ends the adventure, but the playing is worth it. There's no need to describe the verbose adventure itself, as you will soon be playing it. The game is well written, very fun., with great illustrations. Highly recommended.

If you enjoyed Age of Fable...

People who like Age of Fable also gave high ratings to these games:

Down, the Serpent and the Sun, by Chandler Groover
The feathered serpent coils before you, greater than any god or any monster. Maimed warriors are crushed beneath its claws. The sun will never rise again.

Crossroads, by Cat Manning
They say it's death to seek the witch. For you, it's worth the risk. Venture in to the forest in search of relief, but remember that magic is rarely straightforward. A short psychological game about self-knowledge and its price. Content...

Gourmet, by Aaron A. Reed and Chad Barb
Missing employees, wily crustaceans, malfunctioning kitchen equipment and a terminal food shortage, all on the night the most important culinary critic in the world has chosen to review your debut restaurant? Surely there's nowhere to go...

This is version 1 of this page, edited by apeloverage on 13 October 2014 at 8:59pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item