The game is available from archive sites, but its legal status is unknown, so the link will not be made available here.

The Kingdom of Klein

by Melvyn E. Wright and Dave M. Johnson

Episode 3 of Epic Adventures
1984

"A full-scale adventure through caves, water, tunnels, mountains, etc. to find and restore the Magic Klein Bottle.

"An aura of doom surrounds the Klein Kingdom. The Magic Bottle was removed from its pedestal in the King's Palace and stolen by the Wicked Witch of the Mountain. She swore that she would put a hideous curse on anyone who was foolish enough to try and recover it.

"Unfortunately, the citizens of Klein have elected you to be the foolish one!

You must destroy the Wicked Witch, find the Magic Bottle and return it to the pedestal in the King's Palace."

The Kingdom of Klein was published by Epic Adventures for the BBC Micro/Electron.

License: Commercial (Out of Print)
Forgiveness Rating: Cruel
TUID: rlaxvuyfky64j1lj

Electron User Magazine, via 8bs.com
Overall a definite must for the experienced adventurer, though the beginner would probably do better with the first of the Epic adventures, CASTLE FRANKENSTEIN. The save-game facility and response to keyboard input are both very fast. A lot of mapping is required and although the solutions to the problems are reasonably easy, finding what you need to solve the problem with can be a headache.

An extremely good adventure and excellent value for money. Recommended.

Epic's 'Adventure', July 19, 2019
by J. J. Guest (London, England)
Epic Adventures, a small company operating out of a terrace house in Kibworth Beauchamp, Leicestershire, were nevertheless one of the biggest and best known producers of text adventure games for the Acorn Electron. The Kingdom of Klein was their third release.

Perhaps surprisingly, The Kingdom of Klein shows a stronger influence of Crowther and Woods' 'Adventure' than either of the author's previous two games. It's a cave crawl, the aim being to restore the Klein Bottle to its rightful place on a pedestal in the King's palace. Along the way you'll also have to find the five Platonic solids. It's a big game, boasting 230 locations, and this, along with a superior parser, was a big selling point for Epic's catalogue. In reality, it's one of the game's biggest flaws, and all of Melvyn Wright's games suffer from the same problem. Most of those 230 rooms are there simply to represent distance and scale. To give an example, at one point in the game you find yourself on an open plain. To cross it, you must go west 11 times! Later in the game you find yourself in a ravine which requires you to go east 18 times before you arrive at where you need to be. A mountain takes 10 moves to climb up and down, and so on. This might be acceptable once, but the game requires you to constantly retrace your steps and traverse the same terrain. Needless to say, most of these intermediary locations are empty and have nearly identical descriptions.

The puzzles are very much in the spirit of 'Adventure', but completely original. Wands and magic spells feature heavily and some of the solutions are rather under-clued, though the hint sheet provided makes up for this. For the purposes of this review I played with the help of Dorothy Millard's CASA walkthrough, but when I reached the point where I had given up in the 1980s, I was actually surprised at how close my teenage self had got to the end. There's a fairly generous inventory limit, but it can still be a problem given the size of the map. For a cassette-based game written in 1984, the parser is remarkably robust, and I had no problems making the game understand what I wanted to do. The parser in Epic's later The Lost Crystal is even more impressive.

Returning to The Kingdom of Klein after 35 years, the game, though bug-free and solidly programmed, is definitely showing its age. I'd be hard pressed to recommend it to a modern IF player, but for those interested in IF history it's an interesting artefact, clearly influenced by 'Adventure' but not in any way derivative of it. Three stars.

The Kingdom of Klein on IFDB

The Kingdom of Klein appears in the following Recommended Lists:

I Was A Teenage Adventure Gamer by J. J. Guest
I grew up playing IF on the Acorn Electron, and later the BBC Master Compact. My aim here is to create a complete list of all the games that were in my collection back in the 8-bit era. It is not a Recommended List as such. Most of the...

This is version 1 of this page, edited by J. J. Guest on 7 July 2019 at 2:00pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item