Competition Version
Requires a case-sensitive filesystem.
Play this game in your Web browser. (Compressed with the Unix-style .tar.gz "tarball" format. Free unpacking tools are available for most platforms.)

URA Winner!

by Carter Sande profile

Scoring well on the Undergraduate Readiness Assessment is the key to college acceptance. This interactive digital guide contains practice questions and instructional materials for each section of the Assessment, and it's the only online resource officially recognized by the creators of the test.

The downloadable version of this product was designed for the Linux operating system. Students on other platforms should use the "Play online" button.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
TUID: rhpetz2uekmh64l9

45th Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

Uninteresting, even when it's not trying to be, November 19, 2019
It starts out as a mostly boring edutainment simulator (with occasional bits of not-very-sharp commentary), then detours into crazy town in a way that's still pretty boring. I don't know what the point of any of it was.

I didn't play Let's Explore Geography! Canadian Commodities Trader Simulation Exercise, which might have put some of the later developments into context, but after this I'm not particularly inclined to.

A troll game (?) portrayed as test prep, October 7, 2019
Carter Sande is just trolling us all at this point, I believe.

Last year, his game Let's Explore Geography! Canadian Commodities Trader Simulation Exercise was a tongue-in-cheek take on edutainment game. He spent a long time in the forums going back and forth on whether his game was actually edutainment or not, and it's still a little hard to tell.

This game has you clicking on a jpg island map to get help in different areas, in addition to taking small mini-tests of three questions at a time.

The tests are a bit hard (and I swear the compound interest one is wrong!). The little story segments between are more story-based and more clearly Interactive Fiction, but they honestly wouldn't be out of place in a real edutainment game.

The only place I found anything odd was (Spoiler - click to show)the very end, where there was no 'end game' link, and I scrolled down and found I 'missed something'. I noticed the replay this time was different, but not significantly so.

I then followed the walkthrough, the game went all (Spoiler - click to show)Zalgo, and the end result convinced me more than ever that Carter is trolling us all. I did reach a final The End after (Spoiler - click to show)destroying the obelisk.

Why 4 stars, not 5? Because, and this is written in my heart:

"Simulated Boredom is Still Boredom"

Otherwise, I had a good time.

If you enjoyed URA Winner!...

People who like URA Winner! also gave high ratings to these games:

It Is Pitch Black, by Caelyn Sandel
Trapped alone in a darkened antique store with a man-eating grue, can you keep a light going long enough to survive? (contains sound, but no jumpscares.) 2nd place, EctoComp 2014.

Strayed, by Adventure Cow
Strayed is a dark, atmospheric tale in the tradition of Stephen King or Dean R. Koontz. You're only fifteen miles from home; but those fifteen miles are a lonely road through woods drenched in mystery, that many locals dare not enter....

How to Win at Rock Paper Scissors, by Brian Kwak
The disgrace and humiliation of last year's defeat is behind you. This time, with the help of the gods, you'll win this competition for sure.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by cartr on 27 November 2019 at 3:31pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item