Play online

Congee

by Becci

2020

A short story about food, belonging, and seeking home. Text your friend, call your mum, and search for congee on this rainy night.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2020
IFID: A89436F5-1A22-4CB8-9B22-86E930BC4AB7
TUID: rfmoj7b776ugoeoi

Entrant - 26th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2020)

Warm and comforting. , October 4, 2020
by deathbytroggles (Minneapolis, MN)
A linear, very short story about a woman missing being home and the women in her life who support her. Becci does some really cool things with Twine on the graphical end of things; the imagery is gorgeous. The story is not particularly deep, but it's heartfelt and something many people I'm sure can relate to. I almost want to try some congee!

A beautiful, lived-in short story with light interaction, October 20, 2020
by Enrique Henestroza Anguiano (Oakland, California)
Congee is a short game with multimedia elements about a young woman who craves a piece of home while living abroad.

The story features strong, assured writing, with great sense of place and character. And the sleek interactive design with chat window choices and occasional visual asides sets just the right tone to deliver the mood and message of the narrative.

Itís hard to find a negative, other than I wish the game were just a bit longer, expanded to get some more characterization and narrative heft. As it stands, the piece feels closer to flash fiction than short story in impact, but maybe thatís intentional.

The IF equivalent of comfort food, October 5, 2020
by RadioactiveCrow (Irving, TX)
Related reviews: About 15 minutes
This short choice-based work is about being both sick and homesick, and the comfort that certain foods can bring to both kinds of illness. While primarily text, the game is accompanied by soft music and occasional illustrations that perfectly compliment the mood of the story. I don't want to say much more as the game is very short and I wish for everyone to experience it for themselves. But I will say this: I've only played this game once, and for the best reason. The path that I took and the ultimate outcome of the game felt so perfect and brought me such joy that I can't imagine finding a better one and I want to preserve this one playthrough in my memory, undiluted.

If you enjoyed Congee...