The Griffin and the Minor Canon

by Frank Stockton and Chandler Groover profile

A griffin pays an unwanted visit to a town.

Adapted from Frank Stockton's classic short story.

First Publication Date: June 10, 2015
TUID: rf543a6d55ftcxfk

A most curious beast, April 8, 2016
The idea of adapting old stories into interactive fiction is one with great appeal to me - "Bronze" remains one of my favourites to this day - and "The Griffin and the Minor Canon" is a beautifully rendered example. I played it first, then read the short story, and was impressed with how elegant the rendering was. The translation into second person adds a layer of - shall we say humanity? - to the protagonist that is left rather more implicit in the original, while benefiting from Stockton's rhythmatic prose (perfect for Twine). It's also pleasing to look at as well.

(I'm grading generously with four stars, but it is worth playing, and I wouldn't want anyone to be put off by a low IFDB average. It is the sort of exercise in which less is more.)

Note: Itch doesn't seem to play well with Chrome. Use another browser, it's worth it.

Recommended for: when you crave a faerie tale with genuine depth.

An interactive retelling of an old short story, April 26, 2016
This Twine game is longer than most Twine games running from 30 to 60 minutes.

It is an adaptation of an old short story about a Griffin and a church official that had a good grasp of location to begin with. Groover has assembled all the locations in the story into a coherent world.

The story itself is poignant and meaningful, which has led to its enduring popularity as a short story.

Overall, the writing is descriptive, and I enjoyed the interactivity. At the time that I played the game, there was more timed delays than I preferred, but the author was contemplating shortening them.

Incite mortal dread, July 24, 2015
I love that you're a beast. Emo colours.
I would like speed control. Slash. Bookmarks.

If you enjoyed The Griffin and the Minor Canon...