Flygskam Simulator

by Katie Benson

Slice of life

You made a pledge not to fly, but that doesn't mean your adventures are over. The bus journey from London to Hamburg looks simple enough. Just, you know, don't forget your passport, okay?

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
TUID: reidpkpiteto7fz5

59th Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

The events before the main event, December 2, 2019
This takes place in an environment that is familiar to anyone who has undertaken long-distance travel, especially across national borders. Itís the ďadventure before your adventure,Ē looking at the things that happen in the space before a vacation starts.

I enjoyed the fiction because it was conversational and observant. It was like getting an email from a friend talking about their travel experience, or like writing that email to someone else.

It gets two thumbs up for interactivity. Thereís a nice mix of cosmetic/immaterial choices alongside significant choices that trigger specific events. (Or maybe not? I played through the game a few times, and Iím not entirely sure I saw which choices linked with distinct outcomes.) (Spoiler - click to show)I made some conscientious-but-boring choices on my first playthrough, and I felt like my diligence was rewarded with a successful arrival in Hamburg. Things were much different on subsequent trips.

I was going to grumble, it would be that it was tricky for me to pick up the gameís full context without doing some additional research. The blurb establishes that Iím trying to ride the bus from London to Hamburg, but the opening of the game just drops me at the bus station and expects me to know what I want to do. I also needed to look up what Flygskam meant, because I missed that cultural conversation.

A short slice-of-life travelling from UK to Germany, October 11, 2019
Katie Benson has a specific style to her games. They are always kind of low-key and chill, focused on a specific aspect of life, with a 'main' path and one or more side paths, and a lot of little exploration choices in the middle for flavor.

I'm always happy to see one, and I find it pleasant. This one isn't quite as developed as her others, but still gives the same enjoyable vibe. 'Flygskam' (or shame of flying) refers to the movement that tries to avoid the use of airplanes to avoid pollution and energy wastage.

This game adds a new feature where at times you restart the whole game. It would have been tedious, but the game is short enough that clicking quickly takes care of it.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Katie Benson on 18 November 2019 at 4:15am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item