Contains 905.z5
Zip containing .z5 file (Inform)
For all systems. To play, you'll need a Z-Machine Interpreter with Blorb support - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

9:05

by Adam Cadre profile

Slice of life
2000

The phone rings.

Oh, no how long have you been asleep? Sure, it was a tough night, but... This is bad. This is very bad.

The phone rings.

Language: English, Castilian (en, es)
First Publication Date: January 3, 2000
IFID: ZCODE-1-000210-5CCA
TUID: qzftg3j8nh5f34i2

Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle - 2000 XYZZY Awards

You're woken up by the telephone, having slept a lot longer than you should have, and there'll be hell to pay if you don't get out of the house in a hurry. A very short game with a devious twist that the IF theorists out there will find interesting. Gains immeasurably on replay.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

Great for beginners and veterans alike, October 20, 2007
by Fredrik Ramsberg (Stockholm, Sweden)
This game is fun for IF veterans because it pokes fun at one of the most widely accepted conventions of interactive fiction. Had me laughing out loud the first time I played it, and had quite a replay value to see what happened if you chose the less obvious paths. As it happens, this is also a great game to throw at people who have never played IF. It's easy to get through, rewarding and makes most people crack a smile. And of course, it doesn't take a month to finish either. Great little piece.

Pure, pure, gold, October 3, 2010
by Stumpy (A maze of twisty little passages, all alike (apart from the one I'm currently in))
This was the first piece of IF I've played in a good many years and I stumbled across it quite by accident.

At first, with it being so short I thought either I'd done something wrong in my playthrough, but then the whole joke dawned on me.

Even on the second (OK, and the third) playthrough there were those superb little nuggets that I'd missed previously that, had I found them, would have made the whole thing soooo obvious (but so much less enjoyable).

A short, but superb romp that made me smile throughout.

Short but worth a few playthroughs, March 13, 2014
by Jerry Martin (Colossal Caves)
Related reviews: Short IF, Good for Beginners, 2014 Reviews
9:05 is a perfect example of why IF doesn't need to be five hours long to be good. In fact, the short length does it wonders, as it encourages replays and makes it great for newbies to enjoy without overwhelming them. It starts off with a scenario we've all likely had the displeasure of experiencing in real life: you wake up with a start to find the phone ringing. It's your co-worker, who informs you that you're five minutes late to a big meeting you've been planning for a while.

The basic goal is simple: get yourself cleaned up in a hurry, grab a bite and get to work before you lose your job. The real life connection you'll likely have in the game will primarily motivate you to finish the IF. However, it's the twists the story takes that really make 9:05 memorable and replayable for both IF vets and newbies alike. Like many reviews state, you'll understand once you play it and it will be fun to replay a few times.

However, 9:05 will only take about 5-10 minutes to complete on your first playthrough, which will offput a lot of players looking for a deep adventure to lose themselves into. However, I find it makes it accessible to newbies because of this and encourages the replay value the IF pushes for, though I do wish there were more areas and objects to interact with.

If you're still on the fence, give it a try. At worst, you'll waste about 5 minutes, which is nothing. At best, you'll find a great IF with twists and turns that will shock you and a lot of replay value.

If you enjoyed 9:05...

People who like 9:05 also gave high ratings to these games:

Dinner with Andre, by Liza Daly
"A date by candlelight in a fine restaurant. Should be a perfect evening." [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

Koustrea's Contentment, by Jeremy Pflasterer
A tiny community of immortals receives a newcomer named Koustrea, who makes an unsettling discovery while struggling to find a paradisial niche, as the others have long ago.

Cannonfire Concerto, by Caleb Wilson
In an 18th century symphony of intrigue, your supernatural virtuoso performance begins an overture to war! "Cannonfire Concerto" is a 190,000-word interactive novel by Caleb Wilson, where your choices control the story. It's entirely...

9:05 appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Beginner's choice. by Grey
If for first time or beginner players.

IF Playlist for the Brontoboards by Molly
This is a list I created as a general guide to interactive fiction for a thread I'm making on Brontoforumus. I'm trying to give a good overview to both parser IF (usually called "text adventures") and choice-based IF (or...

Games for beginners by Eric Eve
Many of the games in this list are ones I enjoyed as a beginner, but the main aim of this list is to suggest games that are reasonably short and not too hard (so that enjoyment should generally exceed frustration!), and which should...

The following polls include votes for 9:05:

Influential Games by Rose
As a historical exercise, I've begun compiling a list of IF games that have either done something ground breaking with the medium or otherwise influenced it; and I've turned it into a poll so everyone can have input on the expansion....

Games with multiple endings by tggdan3
Obviously not counting "death" as an ending, but non-successful ends can count if there are other successful ends. Variation in endings should at least vary the ending somewhat (as opposed to be an extra word or two).

Comfort Food IF by Molly
Lately I've been chasing away the blues by playing through my IF backlog. This made me wonder, what IF do you play as a pick-me-up? Maybe it's something that calms and soothes you, maybe it's really funny, or maybe it just distracts you...

This is version 29 of this page, edited by Adam Cadre on 8 May 2019 at 8:50pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item