The Writer Will Do Something

by Matthew Burns and Tom Bissell

The year is 2012. You are the head writer for the third game in the wildly popular ShatterGate™ franchise. Expectations are through the roof: fans of the series are waiting for the biggest, most bad-ass entry in the series yet, and your publisher is expecting the best-selling title in its history. But the game’s development hasn’t gone as smoothly as planned. One morning, just a couple months before E3 and six months before ship, an emergency meeting is called...

TUID: qle7qs6w25vqb5dg

Seminal modern narrative game, July 10, 2019
The writer will do something is a seminal twine made by insiders of the game industry, writers Tom Bissell and Matthew S. Burns. Born, maybe from a joke, or as a testimonial of "how games are done", it has been very influential in the narrative/game writers scene.

It has some of the best words put down on a Twine (IMHO). And it provides a sneak peek in how our modern triple-A games are done. How the chaos is modeled, and how they are built from spare parts that rarely fit properly as a narrative (you know, narrative dissonance and such).

It's cleverly written with delicious words, and flavor and tricks that delight and surprise the reader. It is very funny, terrifing, at the same time. I wholeheartly recommend it.

Recreating intense planning sessions at a video game company, July 23, 2016
This is a mid-length twine game where you a part of a small video game company, hired as the writer.

You go through several conversations with your co-workers, intended to show the plight of game writers and why they are in a tough position. You get blamed for the faults of others, you don't get the resources you need, and so on. It has some twists.

Overall, this didn't really gel for me. I worked for a video game company before in a variety of positions, and pretty much everybody gets the exact same bad treatment. But the twine was well put together.

.., September 14, 2016
The Writer Will Do Something is a satirical simulator about a Game Dev company struggling to get their next game out. The writer who managed to make some hit games has to write their newest one but apparently has hit a jam. So depending on your choices you may create another dud, another best seller, or something else. I've only played the game once, but those are the endings I assumed would happen. I think. I got the dud ending... Stories with themes such as this usually have endings of either success or failure.

I'm not the best audience for long twine games. So there's a chance I won't replay it. But I promise that overall, writing style wise, this will be amusing for those who are into Game Development.

The game is played in a itch.io browser, with a white background and black text. It doesn't really feel like a Twine game, except when it came to the choices of course, it almost feels like a Unity text game. But maybe it isn't.

Pros: A humorous game about Game Development, with sleek CSS.
Cons: Some may not get the humor of it or find it unrealistic.

If you enjoyed The Writer Will Do Something...