SpeedIF_Jacket_4.zip
Contains Gorilla.z8
All games entered in Speed-IF Jacket 4.
For all systems. To play, you'll need a Z-Machine Interpreter - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

The man-eating, halitosic gorilla of Brazil

by Marius Müller profile

2011

First Publication Date: April 16, 2011
IFID: 7E7F86E1-7DDC-4D5C-B297-5B709D9712AC
TUID: qdtzzfsauppodqap

News

Expand all | Add a news item

The Minutely Detailed Simulation of the Plant Life Was Remarkable, May 26, 2011
The game is almost entirely menu-driven and the writing is just as slap-dash as it needs to be (minus the encyclopedic excerpts, of course), but is so deceptively witty and self-aware I couldn't help but enjoy myself, albeit with a wry half-smile and a raised eyebrow for the duration. I even willingly undid a direct choice advancing the plot in order to undertake an eight-step chain with an obvious "payoff" merely consisting of exhausting one repetitive dialogue option until I was left with the one I'd chosen initially. The gag is essentially identically to the "and thennn?" gag from Dude, Where's My Car?

Most of the game consists of attempting to fast-talk your way out of being brutalized by a gorilla in a business suit, and one of my favorite elements is the way suggestive menu options play out in the resulting paragraphs of exposition or dialogue. You're faced with options such as, "Yeah, a gorilla with rocket launcher hands. That *is* odd. Please tell me your story" (and in context, you can seriously expect a reasoned response), and "I should probably tell you about the plant!" which works partly because it's been woven into the story but mainly because the Speed-IF event the game was written for randomly assigned a number of fake book-jacket blurbs to an author, who then had to make a story incorporating all those elements; in this case, it was David Fletcher's comment, "The minutely detailed simulation of the plant life was remarkable, if somewhat overwhelming." True, and true.

"The man-eating, halitosic gorilla of Brazil" may not be everyone's cup of coca-water, but it made me happy and silly for 10 or 15 minutes, and I appreciate that.

(It might be easy to overlook the introductory text, but the instructions are crucial to navigating one's way to the non-death ending. Yes, you will probably be torn limb-from-limb with a certain frequency until, of course, you survive the chariot race.)

The man-eating, halitosic gorilla of Brazil on IFDB

The man-eating, halitosic gorilla of Brazil appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Underrated Menu-Driven Games by forgepoet
Menu-driven games that I think should have wider exposure. Games that might not be perfect but deserve better than no reviews or no rating.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Marius Müller on 11 May 2014 at 3:06pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item