Over Here!

by Auraes profile

Surreal
2020

Help the ghosts escape from here, before the yellow bulldozer destroys everything in its path, to replant and restore a primary rainforest instead.

This game was written for The Next Adventure Jam of june 2020.

First Publication Date: July 6, 2020

2nd Place - The Next Adventure Jam

Excellent minimalistic puzzle fest, July 22, 2020
by Denk
Related reviews: Adventuron
This is a puzzle fest in the Scott Adams tradition with super-brief location descriptions, a list of objects you can interact with, a list of visible exits and pictures for all locations. However, in this game the pixelated graphics are taken to the extreme: Each picture is 32x10 pixels. Nevertheless, they are quite beautiful and colourful and it is clear what it is supposed to look like (just look at the cover art). The location pictures may change depending on what objects etc. are present and according to the author there are 148 different pictures. In addition, the text is colourful too, which all adds to the atmosphere.

This game is full of puzzles. Your job is to help the ghosts escape before a yellow bulldozer destroys everything. I have played this game for several hours but so far I have only managed to help 8 out of 12 ghosts. In addition, you can get a maximum of 7 trophies. At least some of them (all?) are not needed to complete the game but it is a fun extra challenge.

I don't know why I like this game so much - it is probably a combination of hard and easy puzzles combined with the colourful atmosphere and the extra challenge to obtain the 7 trophies. The parser accepts no more than two words and it is consistent, unlike some Adventuron games that sometimes accept four-word inputs, which can be fine if the player knows this. The author has also provided a list of necessary verbs, so you don't really need to guess any verbs.

In the time of writing, there are 14 hours left of The Next Adventure Jam. I've played all seven entries and I liked them all more or less, but this is my favourite. Recommended.

If you enjoyed Over Here!...

People who like Over Here! also gave high ratings to these games:

The White Bull, by Jim Aikin

Dawn of The Soviet Ladybirds, by Christopher Merriner
Average member rating: (1 rating)
‘Ladybirds. What a summer for them! They were simply everywhere. Dorothy was ordinarily happy to see them in her garden, but this year there was such an abundance of them that it really was rather alarming…’ Something is amiss in the...

The Train To Abaddon, by Marshal Tenner Winter
A very short steampunk adventure! Try to unlock all 7 achievements!

Over Here! appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Best of each authoring system by Denk
I intend to try the best games of each authoring system, so there will no doubt be many changes to this list in the future. So far, I think the following games are the best for each system I have tried:

This is version 5 of this page, edited by auraes on 30 July 2020 at 6:30am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item