When He Died

by O Bluefoot

he author's first text adventure. Completed for Ectocomp 2019.

You are a forensic photographer. Someone has died. Pay close attention to the world around you.

Inspired by the song "When He Died", by Neil Cicierega. Playlist of songs which I listened to while writing this game: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOHVMy0SoOSL6KJW6McfdmVvBhL0Q7HsA Cover art by Viva Reverie.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2019
IFID: 8BCF0CA9-D9B2-4DBF-B3AD-6809FA5A12E8
TUID: q2sb4gf439x02a0m

4th Place, Le Grand Guignol - ECTOCOMP 2019

A Halloween first game based on a song. , November 13, 2019
This parser game is surprisingly well-done for an author's first game. It's basically an implementation of a world based on the song "When He Died" by Neil Cicierega. You are a forensic photographer, and the gameplay is actually very similar to Hanon Ondricek's underrated game Transparent, where you take photos of supernatural events in a mansion.

Here is my ratings scale, one star per category:

Polish: This is the star I'm not giving. There are some issues, like repeating the description of the staircase in the first room, and it could overall use some more beta testing to find synonyms and things to implement. Overall, though, the implementation of a camera is impressive, and the game handles several complex commands and interactions in a smooth manner.

Descriptiveness: This is lovely. Many of the good ideas are taken directly from the song, but I've learned from experience that turning good material into a good game is not trivial. Nice background for the PC.

Interactivity: I turned to the hints once, but otherwise I was pleased with my agency in this game and felt like my actions mattered.

Emotional Impact: Again, the best parts come from the song, but they hit home for me. Had a lot of fun here.

Would I play again?: I'd be interested in revisiting this in the future.

If this is the author's first game, I can only imagine what a longer, heavily-beta tested IFComp game might be like. Very good!

If you enjoyed When He Died...

People who like When He Died also gave high ratings to these games:

Fingertips: Something Grabbed Ahold of My Hand, by Melvin Rangasamy
You have been imprisoned but your crime can't have been that bad, as they're giving you a chance to escape- if you're smart enough! A one move parole board for Apollo 18+20: The IF Tribute Album.

Secret Agent Cinder, by Emily Ryan
Play as a revolutionary agent Cinder. Your mission is to infiltrate the Royal Ball, dodge the guards and steal the Secret Military Plans, all before midnight. The opulence of Versailles disgusts you as you walk through the gilded rooms....

The Granite Book, by James Mitchelhill
IFComp 2002 entry.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by MathBrush on 13 November 2019 at 12:13pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item