Death Plays Battleship

by Nerd Date Night

2020

One game of chance to save my soul.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2020
Development System: Ink
TUID: ptw2kgv6kiwf7oek

3rd Place, La Petite Mort - English - ECTOCOMP 2020

A short and straightforward game about battling death, November 15, 2020
This is pretty good for a 4-hour-or-less game. You meet death in some sort of spiritual limbo, and you get the chance to redeem your soul through playing chess.

Instead of placing ships on a grid, your position is pre-selected and your guesses come from a menu. I won the first time I played, but I don't know if it was rigged to always win or if it was just random chance.

There are some interesting thoughts on the freedom of the soul, but I feel like the whole thing could use some more fresh takes. But that's hard to do in 4 hours, so I'm overall pretty happy with this game.

"Ted, it's the Grim Reaper!". "Oh, how's it hanging, Death?", October 31, 2020
by jakomo
Related reviews: ectocomp2020
Parody of The Seventh Seal's chess-with-the-Grim-Reaper scene. It's a proper implementation of the game, in Ink (albeit only on a 4x4 grid), interspersed with a choice-based conversation. I managed to win first time, so I'm unsure how much branching or how many endings there are, but what I found was well-written and effective. Unfortunately Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey has already done this joke way back in 1991. Woah.

More funny than scary, December 2, 2020
by Stian
Related reviews: ectocomp 2020
Really more funny than scary, this choice IF parodies the famous chess scene in The Seventh Seal. Death Plays Battleship is very short, so you can easily try all paths in a matter of minutes. As far as parodies go, this is a rather good one; Death is recognisable as based on the character in the classic film, though this one is more fun to hang out with.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by nf on 1 November 2020 at 12:30pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item