Lord Bellwater's Secret

- Lucifalle, April 26, 2017

- ifMUD_Olly (Montana, USA), April 21, 2017

- Matt Bates, May 19, 2016

An interesting, short one-room mystery intrigue game, February 3, 2016

This game is highly rated, which is why I tried it. It is fairly short, and has two difficult puzzles, as well as some trouble at first until you realize that you have to examine every object in the room (okay, maybe it' s just me).

The first puzzle (involving a sequence of numbers) was very ingenious. I thought at first the answer would involve some experimentation, but it was all very logical in the end, though I didn't solve it myself.

The second puzzle is a bit more obscure, but fun.

Altogether, it is not very long, and I would recommend it only to puzzle fiends. Those who are into intrigue may find it worthwhile to skip the two puzzles via walkthrough.

- CasualGamer33356, October 14, 2015

- hoopla, March 25, 2015

- Snave, November 12, 2014

- EllaClass, November 4, 2014

- shornet (Bucharest), March 23, 2014

- DJ (Olalla, Washington), May 9, 2013

- E.K., May 3, 2013

Excellent game, but with a tricky ending!, February 3, 2013

Lord Bellwater's Secret I found to be an excellent work. Though I don't have much time to go into a proper review, I would like to mention some points.

Firstly, Gordon's use of events and turns was inspired. At the beginning, your story is revealed to you in italics as you play the game, almost in a "flashback" form, making the transition between the introduction and game completely seamless. Furthermore, every object in the game had examinable details associated with it, the bookcase and diaries in particular being most impressive (the ability to read the titles of 1200 different books and seeing a whole half a year of journal entries astounded me).

Having said that, the game has a few small faults, particularly with the implementation of the endgame. Though it was exciting enough story-wise, I ended up failing not because I didn't know what to do, but because I couldn't work out how to explain my actions to the game. (Spoiler - click to show)I knew I had to use the cord to climb down from the window, but every action I tried didn't produce the right response. This was a shame because other than that, I had a very fun time playing this game, and I would still recommend it to anyone who wanted to see how text adventures should be made.

- amciek (Opole), October 27, 2012