Story file
Adrift file
InsideADRIFT #41
Contains reading.taf
In which it is featured.
Requires an ADRIFT version 5 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

A Reading in May

IFID: 0FB12482-3A17-11E1-A722-00268255145A
TUID: pl0srreoheznsfzk

More a read than a play, January 18, 2012
by DB (Chicago, IL)
The book, of all things, is unimplemented. Stronger implementation (even of just a few important details) could reap stronger immersion and affect. There was also a (Spoiler - click to show)cigarette at one point which the PC had, but again, not implemented, not in the inventory, so it pulls one out to suddenly realize it *is* there.

(Spoiler - click to show)All one does here is type >READ. While I'm open to the idea that a single-action, multi-turn IF could express something powerful, here I think the forced single-mindedness of the player prevents them from connecting with the distracted state of the player character.

(I'm trying my best to avoid spoilers here, but in a work so short it's maybe a little tough.)

Definitely a *slice* of life, January 8, 2012
by Joey Jones (UK)
This is a one-verb implemented story. It's only a game insofar as the act of trying to read the book implicates you in your/the protagonist's continued failure to do so. It's a short vignette and just that. Worth playing for the writing and the moment. I'll not rate it, because it's not trying to be a game of the type that receives ratings. Quantitatively, it's poorer than almost all other games I've played, though qualitatively it's richer than many.

This is version 18 of this page, edited by Richard Otter on 7 April 2019 at 9:54am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item