Return to the game's main page
Reviews and Ratings
1-18 of 18
- Wanderlust, August 3, 2017
- Mona Mae (South Africa), February 14, 2017
A beautiful contemplation piece set in an 1860's beach, June 27, 2016
by MathBrushThis game was the winner of the 'Landscape' portion of the 2000 IF art show, the same art show where Galatea won the 'Portrait' segment.
You play as a woman who has second thoughts about her engagement, visiting a cove to be alone with her memories. Points are given based on memories remembered and animals examined, as well as for exploration.
The writing is peaceful and beautiful.
The game has a very small puzzle aspect that didn't really work for me.
Overall, I recommend this for fans of the IF art show. If you haven't tried any IF art show games, you should.
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
More Options| Add a comment
- hoopla, March 23, 2015
- Thrax, March 22, 2015
- EllaClass, November 4, 2014
- Katrisa (Houston), January 28, 2014
- AADA7A, September 21, 2012
- Jordan Magnuson (Corvallis, Oregon), August 25, 2012
- E.K., May 29, 2012
- Sam Kabo Ashwell (Seattle), April 16, 2012
- Rose (New Zealand), October 6, 2011
- Stickz (Atlanta, Georgia), June 22, 2010
- Vambuli, May 21, 2009
- Rhian Moss (UK), April 3, 2008
- Catherine Daze, March 24, 2008
- anj tuesday, November 18, 2007
While The Cove does contain specific puzzles and a list of tasks to accomplish, it's not precisely a text adventure; rather, you live through a pivotal moment in the protagonist's life. The goal of the game is to experience the environment as thoroughly as possible.
The text is expansive and rather poignant. The game's one or two puzzles are for the most part self-evident in their solution, and most of the points are scored by simply looking at the right bits of scenery to trigger your character's memories.
The Cove isn't meant to be a game, and it shows, but it is an excellent example of how a story that would be hopelessly banal in a standard format can be compelling and emotional in IF.
-- R. Serena Wakefield
1-18 of 18 | Return to game's main page