Slugocalypse

by Charlotte Blatchford

Go to the game's main page

Giant Slug Attack, December 2, 2019
I enjoyed the fiction of Slugocalypse very much. Itís like an upbeat Day of the Triffids or a less gory Living Dead installment. Itís the end of the world, with slugs. It introduces you to an environment, introduces conflict into that environment, and then keeps things moving until the conflict is resolved.

I enjoyed this gameís presentation and interactivity, as well. It uses images and music, and I was quite happy to see a Twine game that hadnít gone with the default white-text-on-black color scheme.

There are a few options for exploration in the game (and maybe this is a branch-and-bottleneck structure?) that allow you to carefully examine your environment for clues about the disaster or just run like hell and try to survive. In my playthroughs, there seemed to be far fewer jump scares than youíd experience in something like a Resident Evil game, and I appreciated that.

I didnít need anywhere near an hour to get through it, although I only found two of the three endings