The Hunting Lodge

by Hulk Handsome profile

2012

- Sobol (Russia), April 19, 2018

A 'hunt the wumpus'-type game in Twine, September 14, 2017
I actually played this game backwards on accident. There is a major event you're supposed to encounter early on in one of the first rooms, but that ended up being the last room I entered.

Most of this game is navigating a house while a mysterious being also does so. You have to avoid, destroy, and escape.

Over all, it was well done, but I never really got into it. The room descriptions were fairly amusing.

- necromancer, April 15, 2016

- Andrew Schultz (Chicago), November 6, 2013

- Sam Kabo Ashwell (Seattle), January 31, 2013

Down Under, Wumpus Hunts You, January 31, 2013
by Paolo Jose Cruz (Manila, Philippines)
If you're willing to take moody atmospherics and tense exploration (Spoiler - click to show)-- followed by an intense timed escape sequence -- over a well-developed or unique plot, then this Lovecraftian mansion crawl is fair game. Boasting some genuinely unsettling scene descriptions, The Hunting Lodge lets its creepy backstory unfold in the first 'act', before abruptly shifting gears into an nerve-wracking cat-and-mouse (or rather eldritch-abomination-and-plucky-human) game.

Worth noting for Twine fans and developers alike: this game takes full advantage of the tool's variable-setting functions, with a small virtual inventory needed to advance the story, simulated turn-based events (e.g. (Spoiler - click to show)countdown that decreases by 10 seconds each click), and a monstrous pursuer that moves about in (randomized?) wumpus-style fashion. With all the conditions in play, it truly shows off the mechanical possibilities of the authoring system, beyond the obvious CYOA type functions.

I admit that I still haven't beaten the game yet. But I don't need to -- I already recognize how satisfying it is, even when it ends in death-by-creature or (Spoiler - click to show)a fiery, explosive demise.

- Wade Clarke (Sydney, Australia), December 15, 2012