Zip containing the story file
Contains 77 Verbs.gblorb
As entered into the back garden of Springthing 2020.
For all systems. To play, you'll need a glulx interpreter - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
Story file
As entered into the second Ryan Veeder Exposition, under the title 85 Verbs.
Version 2.0
Play online

77 Verbs

by MathBrush (as Prismatik) profile

2020

Use every standard verb in the Inform library to escape deadly situations in this introduction to parser games! (This game was formerly known as 85 verbs.)

First Publication Date: March 1, 2020
IFID: EFA17B06-DA2C-4929-B646-1FFE5170948B
TUID: p3rd5133qm5cwfd

2nd Place, Event 3 - Second Quadrennial Ryan Veeder Exposition for Good Interactive Fiction

Entrant, Back Garden - Spring Thing 2020

The Gaming Philosopher

The narrative and narration may be a bit chaotic and even absurd, but it is undeniable that 77 Verbs has a personality all its own -- and that's not a bad achievement for a gimmicky piece like this.

Ryan Veeder's Judgment
19.8 points out of 30
The cute concept of this game goes a long way with me. I often amuse myself by trying to design games where I use only Inform 7's default actions; using all of them, apparently each one only one time, is extremely adorable. ...

Textsplaining

I would definitely suggest it for people who want to get into parser, or to show their friends to hopefully get them into it as well.

Fun, referential tutorial, April 5, 2020
by E.K.
This is a cute little game that works very well as an introduction to parser IF. You play a wannabe PC who must escape danger through the use of a range of basic verbs. The writing is fluid and lends a sense of urgency to your endeavours, and the NPCs are largely references to classic games (I noted Captain Verdeterre's Plunder, Zork and Galatea). Although it is designed for the beginner to get used to the sorts of actions and thought processes required by parser games, I'd also recommend it to the seasoned IF player as an enjoyable mini romp, although your possible actions are clearly signposted and there's no real challenge to be found.

excelent game, August 18, 2020
by jlvp1234 ( United States )
what a great game this is. I really enjoied it. are there more games similar to this one?

If you enjoyed 77 Verbs...

People who like 77 Verbs also gave high ratings to these games:

Run, Bronwynn, Run!, by Larry Horsfield
Average member rating: (1 rating)
You, Princess Bronwynn of Alizon, learn that your parents plan to marry you off to Prince Timothy, the middle-aged son of the King and Queen of Karsten, a neighbouring kingdom.

Primer, by Christina Nordlander
Pulling the trigger. Winnable. Made in three hours for ECTOCOMP 2017. Content warning: violence against a family member.

The Cove, by Kathleen M. Fischer

The following polls include votes for 77 Verbs:

Games for Beginners by WriterBob
I'm looking for games that are suited for adults who are new to IF. My purpose is to share these games with friends and let them get experience IF without being frustrated by mazes or guess-the-verb issues. Please avoid children's games....

I don't know how to play a game by High virago
i don't know how to play a game in the ifdb so can you please tell me?

Best Short Games (5-60 minutes) by Sasha Davidovna
I'm pretty new to IF and am having a lot of fun, but in between a toddler and a job and other real life stuff, I'm having trouble finding time to finish many of the longer games I want to play. Can you please recommend me some fun and/or...

This is version 9 of this page, edited by Zape on 4 September 2020 at 1:14am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item