So Are the Days

by Dawn Sueoka profile

Surreal
2020

Stories about sand, stories that behave like sand.

First Publication Date: April 2, 2020
TUID: ovkfbxc2r3rpp3q3

Entrant, Back Garden - Spring Thing 2020

Datalexic
Short experimental stories
Appearing in the non-competitive Back Garden section, So Are The Days consists of a suite of very short experimental stories related to the concept of sand, with a sensibility to which Porpentine is the closest analog I can think of in the IF space.

The stories play with various qualities of sand, and they evoke a sense of the malleability of it, how it can represent the passage of time, and how the tiny pieces can wash away or form into something larger. One story allows the reader to move backwards and forwards as events transpire in a town, shifting how randomized occurrences from the past rewrite the story that plays out in the future. Another is a single page of text with a sort of slider at the bottom that gradually erases letters or brings them back.

Most importantly, though, a sure writing voice holds together these formal experiments by maintaining focus on the underlying themes and ideas, infusing meaning into the structures. The combination of high quality prose and interesting experimental forms results in a work that I could see getting recognition in the year-end XYZZY awards.

A suite of experimental stories on the concept of sand, October 20, 2020
by Enrique Henestroza Anguiano (Oakland, California)
So Are The Days consists of a suite of very short experimental stories that play with various qualities of sand, evoking a sense of the malleability of it, how it can represent the passage of time, and how the tiny pieces can wash away or form into something larger.

Most importantly, though, a sure writing voice holds together these formal experiments by maintaining focus on the underlying themes and ideas, infusing meaning into the structures. The combination of high quality prose and interesting experimental forms results in a work that I could see getting recognition in year-end awards.

A clever and complicated collection of poems in interactive form, April 14, 2020
This twine fiction has 4 poems presented in different ways.

One offers choices that don't seem to change the story, instead indicating how you personally feel about your choices.

Another uses some kind of randomization to present a series of tiny vignettes with random names. You can move backwards and forwards in time during the vignettes.

The third uses a grid of text, and you can reveal more or less of the grid.

The fourth is my favorite, with a physical space you can move through and some interaction.

The writing has evocative moments, but the choices of interactivity distance me from the text more than drawing me in. I felt more alienated than invested.

This reminds me of a lot of early works by people who are now well-known/professional IF authors, so I'd love to see where this author goes next.

If you enjoyed So Are the Days...