Multiplatform .t3 download
from author's website
Windows HTML TADS Application
introcomp06.zip
Introcomp entry
For all systems. To play, you'll need a TADS 3 Interpreter - visit tads.org for interpreter downloads. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Nothing But Mazes

by Greg Boettcher

In this large game, you play as Gary Randall, a man who had a heart attack in 2026, was frozen in a cryogenic tube, then revived in 2189 by green aliens from Oo. Humanity bombed itself back to the Iron Age in 2068 and aliens rule the planet now. And these aliens insist that you will play their new interactive fiction game, Nothing But Mazes, which is filled with mazes and death traps. Oh, and you'll die in real life if you die in the game. Doesn't that sound like fun?

[This Introcomp 2006 entry was completed in August 2019.]

First Publication Date: August 1, 2019
IFID: TADS3-70C3C1C8ED3EBD39C82D52FECA95173E
TUID: ovbxika0f1e03g6i

A Sci-Fi Fairy Tale ..., August 11, 2010
by Tristano (Italy)
Nothing But Mazes is a strange piece of IF: there are parts of the story in which the player doesn't really play but reads along, screen after screen. So it's part fiction, part interactive fiction.

Both the game and its language are simple but polished, so it suits also kids. The author has put a great deal of fantasy in the story and I've found it really interesting. As a game, I have to admit that the puzles are quite simple, but I enjoyed them.

The game has sound and hand-drawn graphics (very nice indeed) which add atmosphere to it.

I got to the end of Nothing But Mazes: it's "to be continued". So I hope that Greg Boettcher will bring it to completion because it's worth it.

If you enjoyed Nothing But Mazes...

People who like Nothing But Mazes also gave high ratings to these games:

Walker & Silhouette, by C.E.J. Pacian
Team up with a dashing detective and an iconoclastic flapper to solve absurd and unfathomable crimes in this interactive story - where you control the action just by typing or clicking highlighted words in the text. Walker & Silhouette...

Lords of Time, by Sue Gazzard and Ian Buxton
A band of evil timelords are plotting to alter world history, and Father Time has chosen you to help stop them. This requires 9 symbolic objects from critical times in history. Chill to the ice-age, find the first hard disc, get lost in...

Dead Like Ants, by C.E.J. Pacian
You play as a young woman in red overalls, a red worker ant. Every spring, five dangerous creatures visit the tree and threaten the village, and every spring, the Queen sends one of her daughters to negotiate with them. This spring, the...

Nothing But Mazes appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My new walkthroughs for July 2020 by David Welbourn
On Tuesday July 28, 2020, I published new walkthroughs for the games and stories listed below! Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new walkthroughs for works of...

The following polls include votes for Nothing But Mazes:

Games with misleading titles by Cendare
I was thinking about "Nothing But Mazes" and how it, in fact, contains things that aren't mazes. What other games have titles that don't quite reflect what's inside?

Games with graphics and/or sound by eyesack
I couldn't find an easy way to search for this, so I figured I'd ask the hivemind: What games use graphics and/or sound to enhance the gameplay, similar to City of Secrets and Necrotic Drift?

This is version 7 of this page, edited by CiberSheep on 22 October 2020 at 7:38pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item