10pm

Slice of life

Previous | << 1 >> | Next

- LatinAlice (Canada), February 22, 2020

Unique narration and character interaction experience, February 22, 2020

by Lance Campbell (United States)
This is a fairly short and simple IF work that I originally thought was a built in Texture because of the game mechanics. The fact that it is a Twine game with an innovative UI and dialogue system is what makes it stand out from the crowd. The ideas presented in 10pm should be explored further. There is some real potential here for innovation in narration, dialogue, and character relationships.

thought-provoking, January 30, 2020
Honestly, this is the first time I've been on this site and yours is the first story I looked at. I wasn't expecting to be so engaged, or to feel quite so sorry for a character I'd played for all of 5 minutes. Really lovely work on characterisation!

- Pascal, September 1, 2019

- Liza Daly, November 18, 2017

- Xavid, November 17, 2017

- Karl Ove Hufthammer (Bergen, Norway), November 17, 2017

A fancy symbol-sliding game, November 16, 2017
This game has you speak completely in symbols.

You are bird, a child living with a single male named Ty. Ty has problems, and so do you.

You communicate with Ty completely in symbols. What this means in-game is never explained.

This story didn't grab me, but the presentation was slick, and it's a game worth replaying. Sometimes technical stuff is enough to impress me on its own; however, the author has a great knack for characterization as well.

- Sam Kabo Ashwell (Seattle), November 16, 2017

- Mr. Patient (Saint Paul, Minn.), November 16, 2017

- Pseudavid, November 16, 2017

- Spike, November 16, 2017

- Sobol (Russia), November 11, 2017

- E.K., October 25, 2017

- LayzaSkully (Italy), October 10, 2017

Guess-The-Symbols!, October 6, 2017
by namekuseijin (anywhere but home)
Related reviews: guess-the-verb, IFComp 2017
guess what? I very much prefer the interactions-dialogues via graphical symbols - quite easy actually as you only have to choose between 2 pairs or so, in contrast to old time guess-the-verb - in this game than the actual text, spelled-out in god-slow typing animation, which seems made for small children or retards and really goes like:

The TV is droning. The front door is closed.

You look at the clock.

You look at the door.

You wait.

Grunk would be pleased. I didn't and gave it a 3 for the originality in the new take on guess-the-verb... and guess what? 3 there might well be about 2 or 1 here...

seriously, each year IFComp comes shockful with kids more illiterate than in previous years. Why even try to make a text game in the first place when you can't or don't like to write or read?

How about dropping the games and reading a good old book to learn how to actually write?

- Hanon Ondricek (United States), October 2, 2017