This City Knows You

by Lido profile

Surreal

A girl you’ve just met invites you to an abandoned city. What happens next is up to you.

This City Knows You is an interactive story chock-full of horror, beauty, life, love, and color. Inspired by and dedicated to my wonderful friends.

First Publication Date: November 26, 2016
Development System: Custom
TUID: odvt6x1qbnfyph9c

Strong writing and characterization in this linear narrative work, November 29, 2016
This City Knows You seems to be a strong debut twine-like work, posted as Tumblr entries. The linear narrative allows some choices, but more in tone and flavor than in plot-direction: you are a fairly passive presence, travelling alongside a group of dynamic, active women.

The blocky illustrations are beautiful and bring to mind Kentucky Route 0 or Sword and Sworcery. The aesthetic makes me think of the 80s, although this futuristic piece takes place in a presumably post-apocalyptic city, empty of people.

This piece raises many questions--who precisely are these people? What happened to the city? Why are we here?--and the author bravely leaves them largely unanswered. This contributes to the compelling quality of the plot and story, very engaging despite a slow start. The opening suffers from a lack of urgency and struggles with pacing issues, due to the heavy amount of new information presented. I think it'd be interesting to see the opening tightened up a little bit, and the details of the characters broken up somehow. =

After the slow start, however, pacing is excellent and compelling; I really enjoyed my time with this, and I'm hoping to see more by the author. I've given three stars because this is an exceptionally strong character-focused piece with a fresh voice, but the early pacing issues and unconventional format may be challenging. I recommend sticking with it even if it doesn't immediately grab you; it really grows and becomes something astonishing by the end.

If you enjoyed This City Knows You...

People who like This City Knows You also gave high ratings to these games:

Age of Fable, by James Hutchings
Age of Fable is a free role-playing game which you play through your web browser. Its style is deliberately 'retro', based on the gamebooks whose popularity peaked in the 80s such as Fighting Fantasy, Lone Wolf, Tunnels and Trolls, and...

Rent-a-Vice, by Natalia Theodoridou
What doesn't kill you...kills someone else, and leads you down an ethical rabbit hole. In the near future, paying users can rent the "virtual experiences" of other people. These "feeders" sublet their own bodies, at the risk of their own...

Following Me, by Tia Orisney
Two women take a wrong turn in the woods and make a gruesome discovery. They seek help from a mysterious stranger and are dragged into a vicious trap that they will be lucky to survive. Intended for mature audiences.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by decotex on 28 November 2016 at 3:38pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item