timetrav.zip
MS-DOS Application (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
timetrav.sol
solution

Time Traveller

by Conrad Knopf

Time Travel
1989

The year is 2285. The people of the Earth are dying from a mysterious plague. A now extinct plant could provide the much needed cure. Time Travel is your only hope. Have you ever imagined the thrill of traveling back in time to visit the Old West, to participate in the American Revolution, to explore Ancient Egypt and the Age of the Dinosaur? TIME TRAVELER will transport you to these bygone days. (Expert)

License: Former shareware
Development System: GW-BASIC
IFID: MZ-1FF5C734109E7BAD15935A545C661D8D
TUID: o0dljdnk18c1ovqk

There appeared to be no spelling or grammatical hiccups, but a few things about this game are mildly irritating. You'd think that after spending so much time and effort programming his game, the author could at least have managed to get more of his dates and historical facts right. [...] However, my biggest gripe is reserved for the treatment of females in TT. There are four altogether, a lonely Cro-Magnon woman, a comely wench, a nude lady, and Betsy Ross. The author's scenarios for dealing with these women reveal a stunning insight into the delicate subtleties of human relationships - for example, you can kiss or do various unprintable things to the nude lady, and if you "exam lady" you get a totally puerile description along the lines of "WOW!...Great Hooters!!"

classic text adventure, May 7, 2011
Not meaning that this game in particular is a classic, only that the nature of it is typical of what you'd expect in a 1980's-1990's text adventure: 2 word parsing, limited carrying capacity, limited responses.

The biggest pain is when you make a mistake at one point and don't pay for that mistake until much later on in the game. This, coming long after you've saved and overwritten the previous save, then makes the game un-winnable without restarting from scratch.

But as I play this game I'm reminded that this is how these types of games always used to be and I may have gotten a bit spoiled by modern day IF's which tend to move away from puzzles and (in some cases) even being a game at all and try to just tell a story.

In short, frustration is the inevitable result of a challenge and without a challenge there is no real sense of accomplishment. So, once I recover from my current frustrations with my last failure (Spoiler - click to show)If you want to free up inventory, don't just DROP NITRO, apparently the character takes the word DROP far too literally I'll try again.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 16 March 2013 at 7:58am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item