The Fairy Woods

by rosencrantz profile

Someone dear to you has disappeared into the dangerous woods of the fairy realm, and you're already on your way to save them...

The Fairy Woods is an interactive fiction created in Twine for no particular reason or challenge. This story has multiple endings.

(Thanks to Gillian and others for beta reading and early feedback.)

First Publication Date: October 10, 2014
License: Creative Commons
TUID: ny6bsy6olm5b9y3i

Makes me sure IF has huge potential, May 30, 2019
What a great style! Fine storytelling and background create a lord of the rings kind of atmosphere. I enjoy such short stories with so many alternative endings.
What makes a good IF in my opinion?
-Not too short, not too long.
-A universe vague enough not to distract from the plot and that makes sense at the same time
-No "right" choices. Some games are just do the right thing or lose.

This game has all three. A wonderful and inspiring way to spend up to an hour with a cup of tea.

I also liked how sometimes entire piece of text appears and sometimes it appears part by part.
Combination of using parameters and plot branches also deserves a thank you to the author.

As for the cons, I'd say that some scenes can be a little bit shorter though the balance between reading and making decision is almost perfect.

I am making an app that combines stories like this one, and once it is out I will contact the author to include this story in Gamebook.

Well written and replayable, June 2, 2018
This is a well written story that focuses on relationships and internal struggles in a political world. There are 9 endings and a variety of paths that make this game highly replayable. It has a smart and low key tone great for playing this game with your teenage child. The story is not groundbreaking, and I am not a huge fan of CYOAs, but I liked this one. The story is not groundbreaking. but it is fun.

A charming fairy tale about a quest for a lost love, August 19, 2016
This twine game takes a lot of well-used tropes and works then into something special.

This is a 10-20 minute game with 9 endings. You seek a loved one in the fairy woods, and face a sequence of 2-3 choices at a time when finding them.

The game takes classic fairy ideas like fairy rings or greedy trolls and somehow gives them a sense of realness. The NPCS are all thoughtful.

The styling is individualized for this game and uses occasional special fonts.

If you enjoyed The Fairy Woods...