Recluse.zip *
Contains Recluse.t3
Contains the story file, 2 .gif maps, and gameinfo.​txt
For all systems. To play, you'll need a TADS 3 Interpreter - visit tads.org for interpreter downloads.
recluse1.0.zip *
Contains Recluse.t3
Download from author's site.

Recluse

by Stephen Gorrell

2008

A text adventure in the classic Infocom style. It begins with you delivering a sealed package, contents unknown, to J. Daggett Winton, noted archeologist, explorer, inventor, mathematician, philosopher,... and recluse.

First Publication Date: March 18, 2008
IFID: 38F8D3A0-C902-FD76-1F0B-3B6B6520CC0E
TUID: nv4pezgf17ma9me6

Recluse - Excellent Medium Sized Puzzler In Tads, June 20, 2019
by Canalboy (London, UK.)
Related reviews: Infocom, Puzzle Fest, Parser, Quest.
As a navel gazing IF puzzler of a certain age, I feel that Stephen Gorrell's neat medium sized TADS debut Recluse from 2008 deserves more trumpeting that it has hitherto received. That is, any trumpeting at all judging by a quick search. One review in over a decade doesn't suggest that it has become contemptible through familiarity.

Recluse bucks the modern IF trend, being a set of cleverly choreographed, sequenced puzzles leading to a surprisingly tangential conclusion. Surprising as the hitherto tenebrous plot suddenly takes on solid end game substance via several large screen dumps when you access the mansion. One NPC also displays chameleon like qualities late in the game.

The initial premise involves your efforts to deliver a package to a reclusive billionaire inside his mansion; after being summarily ejected using traditional methods of egress you explore the Infocom like grounds, finding various items to take and manipulate, including one early problem that had me stuck for days (Spoiler - click to show)taking the caterpillar requires a lot of repetition....

I liked the user friendly nature of play; no time or inventory limits, a warning if you have put the game into an unwinnable position (a rare occurrence thanks to its cleverly constructed nature) and built-in hints.

There are a sprinkling of misspellings and a few grammatical errors (again why these things aren't spell checked is beyond me when so much effort is put into other facets of the game) but nothing to really dilute the enjoyment of the game.

The ending of the game suggests a sequel, but as eleven years have now passed without one I imagine that the author has moved on to pastures new, although I can find no more examples of his IF creativity anywhere.

Rather like the only guy still wearing flared jeans on the bus, Recluse may be old fashioned but the denim is of fine quality.

Not "epic", but very well crafted, May 10, 2010
by Nikos Chantziaras (Greece)
I don't tend to write many reviews about games I've played, but I felt I should somehow step-in here, at least with a comment: Recluse looks quite underrated to me. Every bit of it was enjoyable, and it did remind of the old classics.

Highly recommended, and it's not too long.

If you enjoyed Recluse...