ALICE BLUE

by Chris Selmys

Everybody knows that narrative is an emergent property of consciousness, but the reverse is also true...

NB: Alice Blue is intended to be run on a Linux system.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
TUID: ntbav15u2hu9diyq

78th Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

Bash twine, December 27, 2019
by Stian
Related reviews: IFComp 2019
ALICE BLUE may only run in a Linux terminal, but its general design is more akin to such Twine games where some words in the text are highlighted and can be clicked, which in turn changes bits and pieces of the text. In this case, the game, or the story, seems more abstract than most. You navigate memories and are supposed to be able to enter several rooms throughout it. Im afraid I very rarely am able to enjoy such IF, but was very impressed with the fact that ALICE BLUE was written as a bash script a very limited programming language and really well implemented. For a game in a terminal, it looks very good, and it has nice music too!

Obscurity and fairy tales, October 17, 2019
Related reviews: about 2 hours
This game is obscure in many senses of the word. First, it is very hard to run, intended only to run on a linux system. I was able to play it following helpful instructions at http://intfiction.org/t/reviews-for-beta-tested-games/43016/7.

Second, it's obscure because the writing is deliberately vague. Everything is allusions, none of which (maybe one?) is about Alice in Wonderland. Most of the allusions seem to be to Hansel and Gretel or Cinderella.

Third, the way forward is obscure. It is difficult to discover how movement works, difficult to find out how a room is finished, and difficult to go on to the next room. Some basics of movement: (Spoiler - click to show)Typing EXITS shows you the exits. You can move with N, E, S, and W as abbreviations. I took to the source code first and walkthrough later. The source code encourages you to look at it.

I encountered a bad ending that made me get stuck. It was when I (Spoiler - click to show)became a tree. I beat it by typing, not (Spoiler - click to show)run, which was the highlighted term, but (Spoiler - click to show)running away.

Occasionally I used the source to type the right word to move on if I got completely stuck.

One note: all of the major keywords (that give you special results) are (Spoiler - click to show)HTML color codes.

The fiddliness of interaction put me off a bit, and the game either has a few bugs or only has bugs because I played it on the wrong system. Otherwise I was impressed with the design and descriptiveness and would be interested in playing again.

If you enjoyed ALICE BLUE...

Other members recommend these games for people who like ALICE BLUE, or gave both high ratings:

The Space Under the Window, by Andrew Plotkin
A new, experimental game that has no puzzles but uses only words that change your focus on things, thereby adapting the story. [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

Sentencing Mr Liddell, by I-K. Huuhtanen
"The time has come", the Teacher says, "to talk of many sins: of wives and mums and unloved sons (of where it all begins), and why it's really all your fault, and whether no-one wins."

Leadlight, by Wade Clarke
15-year-old Belinda Nettle is studying at Linville Girls High School in Australia's Blue Mountains. After falling asleep in the library one afternoon, she wakes from her mundane existence into a nightmare...

This is version 1 of this page, edited by CMG on 5 October 2019 at 9:57pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item