Witch Beyond the Woods

by Bitter Karella

A traditional ballad about a wounded soldier and a bargain struck.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2019
TUID: npre4sfzkqg7as1i

3rd Place, La Petite Mort - ECTOCOMP 2019

A unique way of telling a horror story, November 13, 2019
I think this story (and the generally similar piece The Curious Incident at Blackrock Township) shows Bitter Karella's range. Most Karella games are light-hearted dark humor Quest games with characters that are exaggerated, sometimes even caricatures.

This Twine game goes to the opposite end: it uses stately language, academic and poetic, and is built around mimesis. The game is framed as a translation of a German poem, with academic footnotes attached. (Spoiler - click to show)I was unable to find any of the references in real life (i.e. outside of the game). But it was so convincing that I felt I had to find something on some of them. The 'translated folk poetry' bit was really convincing, too. Overall, it gave me a better idea of Karella's range.

The academic process of hunting through footnotes is close to lawnmowering, but I found that it really helped the main idea of the game ((Spoiler - click to show)presenting the narrative as real).

As for the content of the poem itself, I found it really well-done. It reminded me of Gawain and the Green Knight or Der Freischutz.

If you enjoyed Witch Beyond the Woods...

People who like Witch Beyond the Woods also gave high ratings to these games:

The Reptile Room, by Elizabeth Smyth
Slither anywhither.

Worlds Apart, by Suzanne Britton

Oppositely Opal, by Buster Hudson
You've practiced long and hard for PotionComp, but Grusilda won't give up her title so easily. UGH! Curse that Grusilda! A one-room potion-brewing spell-casting parser puzzler, where things might go opposite the way you planned.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by MathBrush on 13 November 2019 at 4:53pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item