1915

by Gregor Duddy, Luke Powell, and Finlay Macpherson

"1915 is a powerful little experience that would make a great companion piece to Peter Jackson’s They Shall Not Grow Old" - Alpha Beta Gamer

About:

1915 is a short World War One narrative-driven experience that puts the player in the role of a spectral observer to the Battle of Loos of 1915.

With the ability to time travel in this interactive museum of World War I trenches, the player encounters the authentic memoirs of soldiers and uncovers the unique stories of the Battle from those who fought in it.

Key Features:

Time-Travel: Observe the clash in attitudes of the soldiers before and after the Battle of Loos by time jumping between two time periods of the same trench

Historically-Authentic Design: The visual design of this game was based off of historical research into the battle of Loos, including real quotes from soldiers who fought/died during the engagement

Background:

1915 began as my University Honours Project which discussed how the medium of games can be used to convey the harsh reality of warfare over the glorification that we're so used to seeing within mainstream war games. I believed that setting the game within a battle as tragic and needless as Loos, as part of war as tragic and needless as World War One was the most appropriate way of portraying an unglamorous representation of war.

Playthrough:

10 - 20 Minutes

Xbox One/360 Controller Compatible

Windows Only

Please note that this is still in development. If you have feedback, find any bugs, or are just interested in the game, please let us know in the comments below, or via social media @GregorSD!

TUID: norfq9p5ur5p9j0z

Second 3D terrain explorer I've seen under the IF label, November 10, 2019
The creators of 1915 describe their game (at least on 1915's itch.io page) as interactive fiction; unusual for a 3D terrain-exploring game. However, it isn't the first I've ever seen of the type that a person could possibly classify as IF or a text adventure (look up "The Dead Tower").

Here, one major point of the story revolves around exploring text - the player can approach pieces of scenery to read about them, which does make a cohesive, textual whole all together. However, the game still heavily relies on visuals... Yet if this isn't IF, I can see WHY the creators marked it as such. Really, this is something of a Twine story or gamebook in terms of narrative, but the visuals are in 3D. Instead of clicking on a hyperlink to get to the next chunk of readable text, the player has to navigate via the keyboard.

I'd be interested to see more "IF" of this type, and maybe to see makers merge it with more traditional IF forms.

If you enjoyed 1915...