zenobi48k.zip

The Miser

by Jack Lockerby

Seasonal/Literary
1990

Down through the years one man's name has conjured up great visions of cold-heartedness towards others and a flagrant disregard for the suffering of fellow human-beings ... that man's name was EBENEZER SCROOGE.

A lonely and solitary figure of a man, he dwelt in his uncared-for house surrounded by nothing more than memories and dust. With just the occasional cry of "Humbug!" to rent the silence, he went about his daily life unconcerned with the plight of others. That is until the arrival of the ghostly form of his late partner JACOB MARLEY at the foot of his bed one dark and fateful morn. From then on, the man who was the epitome of meanness was to undergo a change of character the likes of which was never to be seen again.

This is a lighthearted tale of this man and of his endeavours to perform something that was contrary to his beliefs... Namely a "GOOD DEED". In fact not just ONE good deed, but TWELVE of them!

Return with us now to those "thrilling days of yester-year" and relive the struggles of Scrooge as he sets about his task. A task, which in his own eyes, was almost impossible. After all, it is bad enough that he should have to perform such deeds, but in order to do so he must first discover what the deeds actually are and then how to perform them!

License: Former commercial
Development System: PAW
TUID: nm0c2oj5ryjpiz4z

I recall playing this on a shareware disc., October 15, 2013
by theqbasicwizard (Leduc, Alberta)
Now this game has a special place in my heart. A small corner within my beating muscle that I know sounds odd and what not. But it is a wonderful holiday themed game. This is A Christmas Carol for the electric age and though this age has long since passed, I do enjoy playing these kinds of games. The games that were given out for all to play in demo's on the BBS's which for me is always a great little treat. This was a game that i recall spending hours upon hours playing and helped mold me into an IF player. A game that is taken from the pages of Dickens finest work, is something that should be rejoiced and shared among gamers today. This is a classic and should be put in a museum. Though it is basically written with a one maybe two word parser, it is still a gem that all should play. The version I played was a converted file from the days of the C64 and was ported to the PC.

If you enjoyed The Miser...