Probing.zip
Contains Probing.z5
For all systems. To play, you'll need a Z-Machine Interpreter - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
Walkthrough and maps
by David Welbourn

Offensive Probing

by Ben Croshaw

1999

In Offensive Probing, you play Martin McSondheim, a post-graduate ensign of the Space Federation who, due to lack of openings, finds himself trying to cling onto a dirty little life on one of the downmarket moons, Triton. In the introduction, Martin is stationed on board the SFS Connery, in which he embarks upon the most incredible adventure of his life.

IFID: ZCODE-1-990919-50F7
TUID: nfbfwb2gp3sxsk3u

Brass Lantern
Offensive Probing is actually an inoffensive little game with some nice little puzzles and some nice little jokes. There are dozens of minor Inform games in the IF archive, most of which are pretty poor; Offensive Probing is in the same class, but it's one of the good ones. Not quite Balances, but I enjoyed it.

It's about the length of a smallish comp game; I finished it in two shortish sessions, spending most of my time stuck on two puzzles. I'll blame the first on temporary stupidity on my part, but I think the game was being unfair in the second case [...]. The plot is entirely linear, but the game does have a reasonable amount of interactivity in other areas.

This is version 5 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 18 October 2016 at 12:41pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item