The House on Sycamore Lane

by Paul Michael Winters

Mystery

Trapped in an old, abandoned house, you must solve the mystery that has cursed the house for a hundred years... and escape with your life!

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
IFID: 4D6A02BE-A14A-4DD8-A734-AAE8642D1560
TUID: nanqt26hzkvujlmg

50th Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

Enjoyable traditional haunted house mystery, December 27, 2019
by Stian
Related reviews: IFComp 2019
The House on Sycamore Lane is a very traditional haunted house mystery. It’s also riddled with bugs and typos. Despite this, I actually quite enjoyed it. None of the bugs I noticed were game breaking, and they also did not stand in the way of solving the puzzles. The puzzles were generally really nice, albeit a tad easy. What I liked about them were how they were integrated in the story, that they always felt reasonable and that they give a nice flow to playing the game. The story was nothing special, but decent enough and provided a certain level of immersion, enough to make it enjoyable. Some extensive testing and a good update could turn The House on Sycamore Lane into a rather good piece of IF.

Potential to be a good horror game, December 4, 2019
by deathbytroggles (Minneapolis, MN)
From the start it is obvious this is going to be a fairly standard, beginner IF. Room descriptions are sparse, what to do is almost always obvious. Still, I was hoping that it would be a fun ride. Unfortunately, there was not nearly enough beta-testing. Spelling and grammar mistakes abound. At one point you’re told if you have the right tool you can pry some nails and yet the game doesn’t understand the verb "pry." There are several other unimplemented synonyms. The game’s worst sin, however, is that this is supposed to be suspenseful yet you are frequently told how you should be feeling (e.g. “you are on edge”). As always, show, don’t tell.

This has the skeleton of a well-designed entry into the horror genre. The backstory is interesting and several of the puzzles are fun. But first it needs a rewrite.

Good game with minor issues, November 20, 2019
by Denk
Related reviews: inform
This is a quite good game with a few issues here and there but nothing serious. The story is simple but sufficient for a small entertaining puzzlefest. There was one puzzle, which made me look at the walkthrough since I was impatient to get on with the story. I immediately regretted it, since it was a fair puzzle. The rest of the puzzles were fairly easy, despite technical issues here and there and so I managed to complete it within 90 minutes. I enjoyed it.

If you enjoyed The House on Sycamore Lane...

People who like The House on Sycamore Lane also gave high ratings to these games:

Future Threads, by Xavid
You see it. Today is the day they will come. Their ship will crash, but the resulting explosion will trouble them not at all. They will emerge, wrapped in shadows and smoke, from the wreckage. Their senses will lead them unerringly to...

Uncle Zebulon's Will, by Magnus Olsson
Your eccentric Uncle Zebulon considered himself a wizard, and was rumoured to be very wealthy. But when he died, he only left you one single object in his will... Winner in the TADS division of the First Annual IF Competition, 1995.

Junior Arithmancer, by Mike Spivey
A one-to-many-room puzzler.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Mr. Patient on 2 October 2019 at 4:00pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item