The House on Sycamore Lane

by Paul Michael Winters

Mystery

Trapped in an old, abandoned house, you must solve the mystery that has cursed the house for a hundred years... and escape with your life!

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
IFID: 4D6A02BE-A14A-4DD8-A734-AAE8642D1560
TUID: nanqt26hzkvujlmg

50th Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

A long, ghostly mystery parser game with some cleanup issues, October 2, 2019
I give stars based on five criteria: being polished, being descriptive, emotional impact, interactivity, and if I would play again.

Polish: This game is severely lacking in this area. There are numerous typos (such as 'wet' for 'west' in one room), synonyms aren't implemented, disambiguation needs work (like trying to look at the books in the library while holding the textbooks).

Descriptiveness: This certainly isn't a lushly described game, but some of the images were vivid, especially the doll room. The author did a great job of ambiance, in my opinion.

Emotional impact: I felt the eeriness of the house a bit, and the sadness of the story, but I think both needed more work.

Interactivity: The differences in functionality between trowel, pliers, and mallet were hard for me to grasp. Alternate solutions often didn't work (for instance, why don't (Spoiler - click to show)the shears work for cutting after you weaken the vines?).

Playing again: This game doesn't draw me back in for replay.

So that's a 2/5. I think that all of my concerns could have been resolved by having several playtesters, including ones experienced in playtesting games. I'd love to see a more polished game by this author, and would volunteer for playtesting it!

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Mr. Patient on 2 October 2019 at 4:00pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item