Fallacy of Dawn

- Mwe, April 10, 2019

- Catalina, November 13, 2015

- Thrax, March 11, 2015

Flawed But Entertaining, February 19, 2014
This was the first game by this author I played through to the end, and I found it surprisingly entertaining. Years ago, I had slotted it into the "don't bother" category over some of the flaws that are glaringly apparent within ten minutes of beginning, and I'm glad I disregarded that initial impression and tried again.

Where the game shines, and where it's entirely focused, and what makes it worth playing despite the implementation flaws, is the narrative and the characters (there are no "he looks exactly as you would expect a clerk to look" descriptions here), and both are engaging enough in a light action movie kind of way to want to see through to the end. Too often I found myself in a situation where I needed to simply "wait" a turn before talking to an NPC again or before something interesting happened on its own. I can't help but think this would have been a better game if it had been written in a different format (say, CYOA or CYOA-hybrid) that allowed these strengths to really shine.

Unfortunately one of the four or five missions in the open world segment gives away much of the ending if you're at all genre savvy and even remotely paying attention (if you want to avoid this, don't hunt down (Spoiler - click to show)Failed Romero).

Even though I knew what was coming, it was still compelling enough to make me want to see how it played out. In some respects it felt as if the author lost interest after the big reveal; I would have liked to have known more about the ramifications of what was going on. But the conclusion was rewarding and the game definitely felt complete.

If you enjoy action science fiction, this is well worth playing, just save often and have a walkthrough handy.

- Adolia, July 11, 2013

- Anya Johanna DeNiro (Minnesota), July 6, 2009

- winky, February 24, 2009

- schifter (Louisville, KY), August 17, 2008

- Michael R. Bacon (New Mexico), October 20, 2007

Like most of Robb Sherwin's games, this one is marked with memorable writing, strongly defined NPCs, and an occasional disregard for the bounds of good taste. It surpasses most of his other efforts in both scope and playability, however: the setting of the near-future dystopia of New Haz is extensive, and the included map makes it possible to get a handle on the layout despite its ambitious size. There are some bugs and logical inconsistencies, and (particularly in the end game) some places where it becomes difficult to communicate one's intentions to the game. Despite some guess-the-verb problems, however, this is a vivid and memorable ride.

-- Emily Short