cave.taf
Requires an ADRIFT version 3.8 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links.

Cave of Wonders

by Campbell Wild

2000

Development System: ADRIFT
IFID: ADRIFT-380-6E51F5CFFEB2D4D911F34AB983BDC0B2
TUID: n6l3czjvhta4zg11

Old School, November 4, 2011
This is the second of Campbell Wild's games I've played, the first being The Haunted House.

My general impression is that Cave of Wonders is an improvement and a much better game. Once again it is still in the classic style of briefer location descriptions and simpler game play. But, unlike Haunted House more of the scenery items can be examined. It is basically a treasure hunt with most of the objects that are needed scattered around or fairly easy to find.

The characters you come across during the game are little more than scenery with limited conversation and only one purpose.

I didn't run into any real GTV during play. The only real problem I have is with the plot and some of the solutions to the puzzles. (Spoiler - click to show)For example, to get into the graveyard you need to be wearing a flower. Why is never explained, or at least not to me. On the other hand to get into a garden you have to crash through the wall with a vehicle. Now that puzzle I liked. So, a bit hit and miss with many of the puzzles poorly clued or not clued at all.

If you like the more traditional adventure game then Cave of Wonders is worth playing. It entertained me for a couple of plays.

Cave of Wonders on IFDB

Cave of Wonders appears in the following Recommended Lists:

ADRIFT Authors' Iconic Works by DB
I have attempted to assemble a list of some major (and some minor) authors for the ADRIFT platform along with a game iconic of their style. The games are listed by seniority of the authors, where seniority is determined by the year of an...

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Eriorg on 27 April 2009 at 9:28am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item