kitty.z5

Stupid Kittens

by Marc Valhara

Joke/Surreal
2000

"You are standing in Karen's room.
>POOP ON COMPUTER
Woo, bad kitten!" [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

Current Version: Release 1
IFID: ZCODE-1-000930-AC58
TUID: n3t9483k8sd4mai2

44th Place - 6th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2000)

Well. OK. Um. What can I say about Stupid Kittens? It lives up to its title, sort of. There's only one kitten, so it doesn't live up to the last "S" of its title. But it is pretty stupid. Either that or brilliant. It's kind of hard to tell the difference with this game.

Stupid Kittens is described a game for mature players but I found it to be juvenile.
-- Dorothy Millard

Profoundly Stupid, February 8, 2009
by C.E.J. Pacian (England)
When I realised what had happened at the end of this game, I burst out laughing in a way that I'm not sure I ever have with an IF game before. The ending - which I won't spoil, naturally - is a typical example of the kind of brilliant stupidity that made me enjoy this game so much. Stupid Kittens is clearly the work of a capable IF author - capable enough to understand how to bend the structure of a good game back on itself and create a feedback loop of intelligently conceived idiocy.

I'm sure that the poorly spelled opening text of this game has scared off a good few people, who assume that it's one of those self conscious parodies of bad games that blight IF Comp and manage, without fail, to never be the least bit entertaining. Stupid Kittens is more subtle than that, and more in-your-face as well. Simply put, this is a game where stupid things happen. Unexpected stupid things. The game carefully sets up traps for you to walk into, that if you're anything like me, will have you giggling with childish glee as soon as you realise just what (metaphorically speaking) you've stepped in. There are no real puzzles, just a bad acid trip of a game, where the rules change on a whim and the philosophical and moronic are tangled up in one great wet furball.

I guess, when it gets down to it, this is a game where you play a cat that, under instruction from Buddha, finds its soul up its backside. You know whether that's your kind of thing.

A purposely ridiculous game about a cat, May 12, 2016
This game is one of those "mess with the player" games, but it's better than most. It seems bug free (one apparent bug is actually the final joke), and the writing isn't bad, although it tries to be offensive to the player at times.

It's on rails, and goes through a variety of scenes. It seems like a troll game, to be honest, but many people might enjoy it if they like abusive language from parser and fun ridiculousness

If you enjoyed Stupid Kittens...

People who like Stupid Kittens also gave high ratings to these games:

Coloratura, by Lynnea Glasser
Stolen away by apathetic Blind Ones, your only desire is to return to your Cellarium and the Song of the Universe. They should understand. You shall make them to understand.

Gamlet, by Tomasz Pudlo

Delusions, by C. E. Forman
"A trip into virtual reality: all begins with debugging a VR system, but then things get out of hand. Who is Morrodox, what has he to do with your colleagues, and what is going on?" [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

Stupid Kittens appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My new walkthroughs for March 2019 by David Welbourn
On Monday, March 26, 2019, I published new walkthroughs for the games listed below! Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new walkthroughs for works of interactive...

Camp/"So Bad It's Good" by Ivanr
It might seem strange that a video game, which relies on consistent and effortful coding in order to deliver any kind of experience, could be "so bad it's good" in the way that an Ed Wood movie is. But it can happen, as this list...

Funny Games by Ivanr
Okay, this is purely subjective, but since really successful comedy is so rare in IF I thought I'd collect what I consider to be the successes. Each of these is a game that made me grin. (To avoid killing any frogs, the commentary here...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 25 March 2019 at 7:00pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item