Neon Haze

by Porpentine profile and Brenda Neotenomie

Hold your name like oxygen in your lungs.

A drifter with a number on her wrist descends into a massive neon structure.

First Publication Date: August 11, 2015
TUID: mts4wv9xaje5b4gh

Nominee, Best Setting - 2015 XYZZY Awards

HealyG
...if William Gibson's Neuromancer and a Kavinsky album had a baby, and you hooked up a fancy brain-imaging machine to watch that baby's dreams, what you saw there would look a lot like the world of Neon Haze.

Cyber-future Porpentine game about identity , February 3, 2016
This Porpentine game was published in Sub-Q magazine, which is filling the void many people have felt for a venue for IF publication.

Neon Haze is about someone in the future who is going through a rehab program for (Spoiler - click to show)Vessel Syndrome, which makes you feel like you are just a vessel for others, and have no identity.

You have very little interaction with other beings, and you like it that way. There is one main NPC and a few others.

Like all Porpentine games, this game is highly symbolic. The clickable words are made to look like neon lights, and there is a bright neon background. I found both of these things distracting.

Overall, this was not my favorite Porpentine game; there was a good storyline, but the visuals were highly distracting. It's worth a try, though.

Contains some strong language, violence, sexual references, etc. Nothing is very graphic, however; much less than Cyberqueen, a little more than With Those We Love Alive.

A perfect vessel, April 3, 2020
Neon Haze had an easier gameplay than another games of Porpentine, but it is indubiously a Porpentine game : time and links between passages are well-managed (the running, for instance) ; each word matters and touches your heart (moreover, the graphic and sound design by Brenda Neotenomie are perfect).

In addition, Emily Short's review of this game is just here.

If you enjoyed Neon Haze...

People who like Neon Haze also gave high ratings to these games:

Capsule, by PaperBlurt
Alone. In space. A vessel the size of Wales, floating through the endless night. You are the keeper of millions of people. But what might be happening in Sector 24-R?

Mouth of Ashes, by verityvirtue
I've been to see the elders on the top of their mountain. I've got the cure for my daughter. It's time to go home. Still undergoing development. (If you choose to download, note that background images only show up with an internet...

The Tower of the Elephant, by Tor Andersson
An adaptation of the classic sword & sorcery tale by Robert E. Howard, first published in 1933.

Neon Haze appears in the following Recommended Lists:

personal favorites from 2015 by Anya Johanna DeNiro
These are probably idiosyncratic, and I haven't hit nearly everything I probably ought to have. While I play catch up I'll hope to add to this list a bit as well. Also, there are a few IF works that are not yet in IFDB that deserve...

The following polls include votes for Neon Haze:

The game(s) that changed your mind about Twine by MathBrush
I've seen many people discuss their feelings for Twine. Many of them say that they didn't think it was a 'real' platform at first, but then certain games changed them (see, for instance, the commentary in "IF is Dead. Long Live IF") For...

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible multimedia uses of 2015 by Brendan Patrick Hennessy
This is for suggesting games released in 2015 which you think might be worth considering for Best Use of Multimedia in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Autymn Castleton on 21 December 2017 at 9:56am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item