Mrs. Wobbles and the Tangerine House

by Mark Marino

2 boys arrive at a magical foster home...

My kids & I wrote this as the 1st in a series for children 7-11. We aimed for simple choice-driven IF that emphasizes not so much the pyrotechnics but the pleasures of reading, something to snuggle up with...

First Publication Date: September 29, 2013
Development System: Undum
TUID: mppi4th5hjvoapcc

12th Place - 19th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2013)

Only the introduction to a story, though a very well-produced one., July 3, 2019
by Wade Clarke (Sydney, Australia)
Related reviews: IFComp 2013, Undum
(I wrote the original version of this review in my blog upon this game's initial 2013 IFComp release.)

Mark Marino's entry into IFComp 2012, the one preceding the one in which he entered Mrs Wobbles, was The Living Will, a curious Undum game which I didn't really get. Mrs Wobbles is a far more vivid and transparent affair, a pro-reading, episodic and illustrated adventure tale aimed at younger readers (7-11 it says) and again delivered with Undum. While there is a fair bit to read here, it turns out that this game is also an introductory one, with more episodes potentially to come in future. Folks have entered introductions into IFComp before, and while I don't think there's any rule against doing so (and Wobbles is voluble, not a tiny tease) it's just in its nature that the Wobbles we're being presented with in IFComp has some of the density of a novel without the payoffs of a novel. I also find it hard to gauge how hooky it might be for those future episodes, but I'm not the core audience. Mrs Wobbles feels to me like the opening of an attractive e-novel for tablets. Interactivity is mostly at the level of deciding in which order to read things, and while this area isn't of much personal interest to me, when I consider the overall quality level of the project I think most players will find something to like here. Some may find a lot.

I think the "A Series of Unfortunate Events" books by Lemony Snicket were probably a big influence on the tone of Wobble's prose, and probably more than an influence on its specific content. The protagonists are fostered siblings, their parents died in a mysterious fire and when the game begins, they're going to live in a weird house with a strange adult. The narrator is a magical talking book which can insert whimsical asides into the prose of a kind we'd be hard pressed to get from child protagonists. Production values are consistently high. The game includes some superb woodcut / etching / lithograph style illustrations. The prose is pretty good at any point and you can have it read out to you from author-made recordings. This also means that the speech feature is platform and software independent, and kid-friendly.

What I'm unsure about is how satisfying the scope of this introduction is. It's an introduction for the characters and the setting of the house, but there's no real story vector in place for either of these elements yet, as good as they are. The brother protagonists have a cute rapport, and the fussy girl they meet later, Mildred, is a good foil for them. The house is full of magical rooms and fantastic machinery which may be of use in the future. I suppose the experience of Wobbles is like being introduced to Hogwarts via an explicit tour but then having the book end suddenly. It may be safer to make a self-contained and expositional starting adventure, but it's probably less interesting than throwing players/readers into a story which sets up some plot hooks and mysteries. In the end, my to-ing and fro-ing about Wobbles comes down to the fact that this is an introduction competing in a venue not particularly suited to introductions.

A children's story with great production values, June 4, 2016
I played the sequel to this game before this one. In both of the games, the details are really attended to; the graphics are well done, the writing is polished, and the game is segmented into nice, easy segments.

This game is about a house with a magic inhabitant. Crazy stuff happens all of the time in this house; lava, magic rooms, moving pictures, etc.

I didn't really get caught up in the game, but it is well done.

Cute CYOA for young readers, November 21, 2013
The blurb really nailed this one; this is a cute CYOA that might be a fun read for young people.

I think the text is a little long for young people, and I think it could use some editing and paring down to make it more readable, especially for the target audience of children reading on the web.

If you enjoyed Mrs. Wobbles and the Tangerine House...

People who like Mrs. Wobbles and the Tangerine House also gave high ratings to these games:

Arcane Intern (Unpaid), by Astrid Dalmady
Getting coffee, making copies, tampering with powers beyond your control. You know, normal intern things. Now if only you were getting paid for it...

Changes, by David Given

Uncle Zebulon's Will, by Magnus Olsson
Your eccentric Uncle Zebulon considered himself a wizard, and was rumoured to be very wealthy. But when he died, he only left you one single object in his will... Winner in the TADS division of the First Annual IF Competition, 1995.

The following polls include votes for Mrs. Wobbles and the Tangerine House:

Child-friendly CYOA (or other interface that's not traditional parser) by blue/green
Most of the games I see on the "appropriate for children" lists are pure parser IF. Are there kid friendly games that have a more accessible interface? CYOA, hyperlink, hybrid parser--any interface that offers some help in figuring out...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by genericgeekgirl on 1 October 2013 at 9:42pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item