Lost Pig

2007

Previous | << 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >> | Next | Show All

Pigs in Zen, January 21, 2013
by ifailedit (arkansas)
With an average rating of 4.5 stars and 113 5-star ratings total, Admiral Jota's "Lost Pig" is uncontroversially well-loved, even in the wider world beyond the IFDB, garnering praise from sources such as the Onion AV Club (4 Stars). There is, without a doubt, a lot to like about it. The narrator is funny, likable, and maintains a consistent voice throughout the piece. It's hard not to love the guy, really, and the fact that he is an Orc (we all remember those nasty things from Lord of the Rings) is amusing instead of alienating. The unambiguous objective of the game itself and its porcine antagonist afford, hilariously, an even match of wits. Even better, the puzzles are logical, fair, and imaginative--the (Spoiler - click to show)"dehydrated fire" in particular is a fun and satisfying thing to fiddle with. The only *humanoid* NPC, in terms of available topics and dialogue, is an embarrassment of riches. In fact, given this unusual characteristic, one may be surprised at feelings of overkill.

"Lost Pig" is a very tightly implemented, richly imagined piece of IF with a satisfying level of difficulty (good luck with that last point). If, somehow, you haven't played it yet (it seems so many of us have), you are in for a treat.

However, and there is a however, I wonder if I am the only one who wonders at its current (as of 2011) position of #2 in the "Interactive Fiction Top 50 of all time." From this lofty perch, "Lost Pig" gazes down upon "A Mind Forever Voyaging," "Anchorhead," "Slouching Towards Bedlam," and other notable classics. "Lost Pig" is consistently delightful, absolutely, and is a classic in its own right, but it does not haunt me, nor does it challenge my assumptions about art and my relationship to it. It does what it does very well, but it does not do those things. Speaking only for myself, it is a game, a very great game, but it does not completely fulfill the artistic promise of IF. This is by no means a failure, since the work makes no apparent efforts to do so. I realize that one never completely agrees with such lists, but a #2 position, or even a top ten position, seems to say something about the merits of IF as an art form with which I cannot agree.

This analogy may not work, but, if the "Best..." list were The Beatles' "White Album," I would express it thus: I like to listen to "Rocky Raccoon" as much as the next guy, but it's hardly "Happiness is a Warm Gun."

Like a good children's story, "Lost Pig" is a hoot for children and grown-ups as well. Enjoy.

- Cosbino, January 18, 2013

- Lubulos, September 9, 2012

- Juleske, September 3, 2012

Impressed by the work behind the game, August 31, 2012
by Dida
I've given this game 3 stars because I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped I would.

I was very impressed with the attention to detail and the level of implementation. This is good if you like messing about in your IF and hate unpolished responses that don't make sense. I noticed the NPCs struck a good balance between reacting to the player and living their own lives. I respect the work that goes into creating something like that.

Unfortunately, I lost interest in the puzzles quite rapidly. I felt they left me a bit too clueless a bit too early on in the game. Earning just one point per solved puzzle only served to alienate me further. I suspect that the puzzles work well for experienced IF/Zork players who are accustomed to trying more obscure commands, knowing they might do something useful. They are probably more hungry for unusual thinking, too, having seen most tricks played before. Not the best for beginners, though.

- Jordan Magnuson (Corvallis, Oregon), August 26, 2012

- lastplaneout (Boone, NC), August 11, 2012

- Binderman, August 1, 2012

MUST PLAY GAME!, July 28, 2012
by Coldfinger (Germany)
After being abstinent from IF for over 20 years, this game was the perfect starter to get into the IF way of thinking again. And also the perfect game to get me addicted again. Not too large, nice puzzles, great use of language, sensible parser and good humor.

But now no time anymore. Must play next game. Where next Grunk game????

- Destarex (Colorado), July 7, 2012

- Herr Rau (München, Germany), April 28, 2012

- Cobangrrl, April 27, 2012

- Christiaan, March 26, 2012

Good but not great, March 24, 2012
Most of the game takes place in seven rooms, and still this is no small game. It has simulations of both fire and water, and an NPC that responds to 250 topics! If you like to replay a game to find hidden stuff, this is the game for you! But the game also has bad sides. It might sound fun to be able to talk with an NPC about 250 topics, but in reality it gets boring after a while. Physics simulations like fire and water is not something that improves a game. The puzzles are difficult and the story about an orc looking for a lost pig is charming but also silly. It is overrated but still a fun game.

Previous | << 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >> | Next | Show All | Return to game's main page