Story file and interpreter
Contains enceladus.hex
Story file and Windows interpreter.
For all systems. To play, you'll need a Hugo interpreter - visit the Hugor page on ifwiki.org for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Enceladus

by Robb Sherwin profile

There's a werewolf loose on the spaceship known as the HMCS Plagoo!

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
License: Creative Commons
Development System: Hugo
IFID: HUGO-31-03-18-09-24-19
TUID: lwqcpp5od2vmslg

26th Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

A participatory space western comedy, October 8, 2019
Robb Sherwin is legendary for a certain kind of game, one with many creative NPCs, imaginative and creative language, and blood, sex, and profanity.

I love his style, but frequently it gets too much for me. But Enceladus has the wittiness and imagination without as much of the blood, sex and profanity. This IFComp game is like Respectable Robb Sherwin, as if Sherwin's writing were a teenager seeing a cop drive by, doing their best to walk normal and not look like they're high.

So this is a Robb Sherwin game I can genuinely recommend for most audiences. It's not meant for kids, though (there's some gore and it could get pretty scary for them). This is a great chance for more people to discover Sherwin's clever humor (or stupid humor? or both?).

You play as a character on the HMS Plagoo. A werewolf is loose in space, and you soon crash on the moon Enceladus. You have to defeat your enemies while simultaneously taking care mentally and physically of your friends while they do the same for you.

The game is completely linear; the interactivity is "do the next thing we tell you too". There's a few smatterings of puzzle elements, a little bit less than Photopia, for instance, but more than 0.

This style of interactivity made me feel like I was an actor in a play, giving lines at the appropriate part. And since Sherwin's writing has always reminded me of Shakespeare (focusing on witty turns of phrase and a mixture of lowbrow and highbrow), it works well.

(P.S. It may seem hyperbole to compare anyone to Shakespeare, but I'm not saying that quality of writing is exactly equal. I'm just talking about the sense of humor)

Puzzleless IF with attitude, December 27, 2019
by Stian
Related reviews: IFComp 2019
This is essentially a puzzleless IF and reads as a cross between Jack Kerouac and Quentin Tarantino if they were making a Sci-Fi B-movie together, very late at night. Or something like that. The main thing Enceladus has going for it is its humour, crass and absurd and with lots of attitude. As a work of IF, Enceladus wasnít really my thing, but I would like to acknowledge that itís quite well written, and Iím sure many will love it.

If you enjoyed Enceladus...

People who like Enceladus also gave high ratings to these games:

Ecdysis, by Peter Nepstad
You wake, a pounding headache loud in your inner ear, the back of your head itching and tingling, your mouth full of cotton. The pain drives away your dreams, weird visions of alien landscapes... Ecdysis is based on an entry in H.P....

The Meteor, the Stone and a Long Glass of Sherbet, by Graham Nelson (as Angela M. Horns)
Another day wasted as guest of the Empress, a wretchedly long tour of the breath-taking Boreal Falls, conducted as ever by the Lady Amilia. As if she weren't bad enough, an honour guard of soldiers, their breast-plates red in the setting...

Rainbow Bridge, by John Demeter
In this tiny game, you play as the angel Gabriel in an isolated cabin with your lover, a mortal man named Demeter. Because of an unexpected crisis, you must now return to the celestial plane. But to get there, you must first recharge...

Enceladus appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Great games set in space by MathBrush
My list for best sci-fi games has grown too large again, and so I'm splitting it off again. This list only includes games whose primary action is off-planet, or which feature exploring an unfamiliar planet, or which feature...

The following polls include votes for Enceladus:

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Best Individual NPCs of 2019 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2019 which you think might be worth considering for Best Individual NPC in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination.This is not an official list. The point of poll is partly to...

Games with NPCs that tag along by Ghalev
List here any games that feature a (preferably memorable!) "sidekick" character - an NPC who follows the viewpoint character around for most or all of the game, as per Floyd in Planetfall or Trent/Tiffany in Leather Goddesses of Phobos.

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Best Implementation of 2019 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2019 which you think might be worth considering for Best Implementation in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination.This is not an official list. The point of poll is partly to...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Robb Sherwin on 29 March 2020 at 11:14pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item