The Brigand's Story

by Laura Michet profile

"The Brigand's Story is a spooky interactive short story adapted from a nonsense tale that my friends and I used to tell as children."

First Publication Date: October 31, 2016
TUID: lutwq4rt4szpqwze

Repetitive, engaging Twine-like exploring a scary campfire story, June 18, 2017
(UPDATE: The bug seems fixed; I have revised my star rating to 4 stars. Original review remains below.)
This piece explores a campfire story on repeat, with minor changes in each iteration, as the protagonist realizes the story is repeating. After the build-up and background, the protagonist meets a grisly, horrible end; only to have to do it again, and again, and again.

Some of the repeats work better than others; a few feel more tedious, with less of a pay-off for working through them, but the overall writing is punchy, distinctive, and rewarding. So much so that I was engaged and quite unhappy when I hit a state-ending bug.

The writing was so good that I would rate this higher than 3 stars, but I keep encountering a game-ending bug after my 4th iteration.

Most seem to have made it through to the end, so I'd recommend playing this as-is, and I hope that a new version that fixes the bug I encountered will come out.

If you enjoyed The Brigand's Story...

People who like The Brigand's Story also gave high ratings to these games:

Weird City Interloper, by C.E.J. Pacian
An interactive tale of strange conspiracy. Pull up your hood, lower your gaze and enter the city of Zendon. If you can gather enough information, you may just be able to change the course of history. (Weird City Interloper is a shallow...

An Evening at the Ransom Woodingdean Museum House, by Ryan Veeder
Karen Chambers gives tours in a restored Victorian home.

Following Me, by Tia Orisney
Two women take a wrong turn in the woods and make a gruesome discovery. They seek help from a mysterious stranger and are dragged into a vicious trap that they will be lucky to survive. Intended for mature audiences.

The following polls include votes for The Brigand's Story:

Games centered around a "groundhog day" loop by Merk
Two that come to mind, which I haven't played in years and may be remembering wrong, are Moebius and All Things Devours. Games with fail states, by their nature, fit the bill from a mechanical level, but I'm curious about games where...

This is version 1 of this page, edited by B Minus Seven on 4 December 2016 at 1:09am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item