The Brigand's Story

by Laura Michet profile

"The Brigand's Story is a spooky interactive short story adapted from a nonsense tale that my friends and I used to tell as children."

First Publication Date: October 31, 2016
TUID: lutwq4rt4szpqwze

Repetitive, engaging Twine-like exploring a scary campfire story, June 18, 2017
(UPDATE: The bug seems fixed; I have revised my star rating to 4 stars. Original review remains below.)
This piece explores a campfire story on repeat, with minor changes in each iteration, as the protagonist realizes the story is repeating. After the build-up and background, the protagonist meets a grisly, horrible end; only to have to do it again, and again, and again.

Some of the repeats work better than others; a few feel more tedious, with less of a pay-off for working through them, but the overall writing is punchy, distinctive, and rewarding. So much so that I was engaged and quite unhappy when I hit a state-ending bug.

The writing was so good that I would rate this higher than 3 stars, but I keep encountering a game-ending bug after my 4th iteration.

Most seem to have made it through to the end, so I'd recommend playing this as-is, and I hope that a new version that fixes the bug I encountered will come out.

If you enjoyed The Brigand's Story...

People who like The Brigand's Story also gave high ratings to these games:

Contrition, by Porpentine
Someone is whispering behind your back: "She used to be the greatest thief in Contrition, until..."

Bronze, by Emily Short
When the seventh day comes and it is time for you to return to the castle in the forest, your sisters cling to your sleeves.

Lyreless, by Bruno Dias
A man heads into hell to seek out his lost lover; there he has to decide how much of himself to leave behind.

The following polls include votes for The Brigand's Story:

Games centered around a "groundhog day" loop by Merk
Two that come to mind, which I haven't played in years and may be remembering wrong, are Moebius and All Things Devours. Games with fail states, by their nature, fit the bill from a mechanical level, but I'm curious about games where...

This is version 1 of this page, edited by B Minus Seven on 4 December 2016 at 1:09am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item