Zipped game file
Zipped file containing all Petite Mort entries to ECTOCOMP 2016

Flight of the Necrovoyager

by Joey Bones profile

It's impossible to keep someone alive for centuries long space journeys, so that's why they send the undead instead.

Play as either:
- a dracolich
- a ghost
- a lich
- a vampire
or
- a skeleton

Count gold, change your wardrobe, go mad, but reach the planet.

A Petite Mort entry for ECTOCOMP 2016.

TUID: lum9eg93yx04gqe7

14th Place, La Petite Mort - EctoComp 2016

A boredom simulator with some necromantic flavor , July 1, 2017
This game consists almost entirely of a long, very repetitive sequence on board a spaceship where you choose from among the same 3 options for dozens of turns. The first turn has more variety.

So it's boring, but it's trying to be boring, and its polished and descriptive at its boring task, which is why I've given it 3 stars.

Flight of the Necrovoyager (in Real Time), May 5, 2017
(Disclosure: I participated in EctoComp 2016.)

The premise is original, and the writing is pretty good. I came into it expecting something rather light-hearted and silly, but the various PCs' backstories turn out to have a bit more darkness to them: a nice mixture of black comedy and inhumanity. Those backstories are probably my favourite part of the story: they're well-written and get the right amount of detail without dragging on.

Then you get to the bulk of the story, and... it's a boredom simulator. You have to click through a few repetitive tasks until enough years have passed for you to reach the planet of your destination, (Spoiler - click to show)upon which the storyline ends. There exists a game called Journey to Alpha Centauri: In Real Time, based on a joke in Terry Pratchett's novel Only You Can Save Mankind, where the joke is that it takes 3,000 years to complete; this is like the coffee-break version. Of course, the point is that the journey is immensely boring for the PC; the problem is that intentional boredom is still boredom.

(Spoiler - click to show)I played through all the characters, in case there were some sort of reward for completing all the storylines, but it turns out there isn't.

I found most of the PCs interesting in one way or another. I particularly enjoyed the vampire's backstory, and the lich has an interesting personality (and also the most varied content during the actual journey). Implementation-wise, the game is competent: nothing groundbreaking, but a good use of expanding text and randomised elements. On the downside, there are a few typoes, but not enough to reduce my enjoyment.

Not particularly scary.

To sum up: a fun idea, decently written, but still a boredom simulator.

Flight of the Necrovoyager on IFDB

Flight of the Necrovoyager appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Ectocomp Games (All English Winners/Entries) by thecanvasrose

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Joey Jones on 14 January 2017 at 1:10pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item