Bi Lines

by Naomi Z (as Norbez) profile

Urban Fantasy

So what if you're unsure? What if you're falling apart?

Forget about yourself and worry about them.

That's what she'd want.

(Note: This game poured out of me during the Brett Kavanaugh hearings in America, and the discussion of sexual assault surrounding it. I am very interested in how players like you will respond to this. Please don't hesitate to contact me with your thoughts.)

First Publication Date: October 1, 2018
TUID: li6y50hgqwogkelv

34th Place (tie) - 24th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2018)

A shortish, nice-looking Twine game about bisexuality, January 6, 2019
Norbez has written quite a few games over the years now, including several IFComp games, and it’s clear that their style is progressing, adapting, and improving. This is the best Norbez game I’ve seen, and definitely one of the best “PSA” games I’ve seen. Just like Depression Quest for depression or Hana Feels for self-harm, Bi Lines is meant to help you consider what it’s like to be a bisexual man in an unacceptably society.

What made this piece work for me was the presentation. Nice chalk/like effects when you click on choices, smooth writing, and a supernatural setting with a reporter talking to ghosts make an excellent frame over the deeper charcterization choices and the central narrative.

This game takes place over three days, but is still fairly short. It contains some strong profanity in a scene or two. I recommend this game.

If you enjoyed Bi Lines...