level9.zip *
KnightOrcNovella.zip *
novella from the original packaging in HTML format
KnightOrc.clues

LEVEL9-011-2
LEVEL9-011-3
TUID: laiyfhqfopw0x9r6

Crash

Never has so much been packed on so few chips for so many. Knight Orc is so complex it's an absolute pleasure to play - not so much a game, more of a book in which you can write your own ending. The text is beautifully-written, both interesting and informative story; the vocabulary is extremely user-friendly and 'real' sentences or even paragraphs can be constructed. But what makes Knight Orc so atmospheric is the number of characters roaming about the place - they don't just exist as in most adventures, they actually have lives all of their own, just as much as the player.

The puzzles, jokes, characters and parser are all up to par with the best that Infocom had to offer. I suspect that this game did not receive the props that it should have due to its subject manner -- playing the "bad guy" didn't really become in style until "Syndicate." While Grindleguts is a greedy, violent, angry little pit he is also a character worthy of our respect. Especially among the piles of spods he's running around with. I suspect that the background characters in Knight Orc are set to mirror the kind of individuals we (the gaming community) can't -- in theory -- stand or relate to in real life. Jocks, Girls, urchins, soldiers... one can make the argument that when they are in our world (a game) they should be the outsiders. Knight Orc describes them with as much distaste as we normally get in "their" environments. Bloody fabulous.

Text game needs better graphics, July 1, 2015
I like being big green. Evil. Multiplayer online games like this.
I would like better graphics.
Note: this review is based on older version of the game.

If you enjoyed Knight Orc...

People who like Knight Orc also gave high ratings to these games:

Bronze, by Emily Short
When the seventh day comes and it is time for you to return to the castle in the forest, your sisters cling to your sleeves.

Mentula Macanus: Apocolocyntosis, by One of the Bruces and Drunken Bastard
Stiffy Makane, or rather his ancestor Mentula Macanus, is here subjected to an increasingly-unlikely series of crudely sexual romps through the ancient world. It's sort of like the Satyricon, except not nearly as funny.

La Sentencia, by José Luis Díaz
"Cuando, por último, me desataron y pude sentarme, noté que perdía el conocimiento. La sentencia, la espantosa sentencia de muerte, fue la ultima frase claramente acentuada que llego a mis oídos. Luego, el sonido de las voces de los...

The following polls include votes for Knight Orc:

Wandering NPCs by Fredrik
I have always been fascinated with games that have several wandering and independent NPCs, especially when you have the ability to try to order them around. This sets the stage for a game where no one session is like any other, and even...

Non-Infocom games of commercial era worth playing by tekket
What commercial games published between 1980-1993 other than those by Infocom do you think are worth playing?

More than it appears to be... by dacharya64
I'm looking for games that aren't exactly what they seem. Perhaps they come across as simple or romantic or anything really, the point is that things take a turn for the worse (or perhaps the better) and everything begins to change....

This is version 6 of this page, edited by CiberSheep on 5 September 2018 at 9:21pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item