The downloadable gblorb file
Play on itch.io
The itch.​io page for this game, fully playable online.
Gateway of the Ferrets on IFWiki
The wiki entry for The Gateway of the Ferrets
Walkthrough and map
by David Welbourn

The Gateway of the Ferrets

by Feneric profile

Part of 2019 IF Advent Calendar

So life lately has been traveling through one portal after another, each with its own risks and rewards. Sometimes portals lead to dead ends. Sometimes they close and lock behind you. Sometimes it's challenging to get back. Sometimes you need help. Sometimes you need ferrets.

First Publication Date: December 12, 2019
Current Version: Release 1
IFID: 44F3A87C-D7EE-11E9-9B30-38DEAD6428A5
TUID: l2hqc5pozy26cwn

A fun little game with a complicated device and two NPCs to control, September 15, 2020
This parser game was made as part of last year's advent calendar.

It centers around a mysterious sort of room, inspired by Planescape and Land of the Lost but also reminiscent of Myst-like games and machines.

You have a pedestal with all sorts of doodads and contraptions. To get them to work, you need the help of two ferrets of varying talents.

The overall puzzle took me a while to puzzle out, and I was very happy to get the solution in a flash, but I was stumped before that.

The ferrets are cute and have nice little narrative touches, one of the highlights of the game.

The game only needs polishing to be great. A few things that could use improvement:

-The game starts with a wide open state space but only one thing advances the puzzle. I didn't notice that thing because (Spoiler - click to show)it requires examining the gateway and I had spent my first minutes exploring the device and trying to play with ferrets.
-Some actions can be difficult to phrase. In particular, instructing the ferrets to go to specific platforms was quite tricky for me to get (I tried climb to platform, go to platform, go up, etc. before hitting on the correct (Spoiler - click to show)climb mesh and (Spoiler - click to show)jump to w/e commands)

Those frustrations are mostly what made me feel the interactivity and polish could use some tweaking. But as a 'figure out this device puzzle', which I enjoy and I know quite a few others do, I would recommend this.

The Gateway of the Ferrets on IFDB

The Gateway of the Ferrets appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My new walkthroughs for October 2020 by David Welbourn
During the evening of Wednesday October 28, 2020, I published new walkthroughs for the games and stories listed below! Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 29 October 2020 at 7:23pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item